Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cam Walker

Posted by Darlene on 7/30/04 at 14:01 (156572)

Would you kindly tell me where I could get a cam walker? I am having tarsal tunnel symptoms on the left foot (heel numbness, inner ankle pain) and interestingly I had a positive tinel sign on my right foot (the doctor hit it very hard with a reflex hammer). How could I give both tarsal tunnel muscles a rest? The MRI showed an enlarged muscle abutting the neurovascular bundle. I believe this muscle enlarged due to my altered gait.

Thank you.

Darlene

Re: Cam Walker

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/04 at 14:58 (156582)

Darlene:
Many docs (most pods) and medical supply houses have CAM walkers. I am not very enthusiastic about their use for the problems you describe although using it for a short rest is not unreasonable. They tend to have a flat foot bed which is not always good for PF and make sure that they do not put too much pressure on the inside of your ankle (tarsal tunnel area).
Ed

Re: Dr. Ed

Darlene on 7/30/04 at 16:08 (156596)

Thanks for answering my post.

What would you suggest I do with this enlarged muscle? Right now I am resting it by being a couch potato which isn't any fun. I want to make sure that I don't do anything to make it progress. So far there has not been any nerve damage according to the nerve conduction test.

Darlene

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/04 at 18:58 (156607)

Darlene:
How certain is your doctor that the muscle is placing pressure on the nerve? Does he feel that removing it would relieve that pressure?
Ed

Darlene on 7/30/04 at 21:55 (156623)

The doctor is not sure at all, but what else could be causing the tts symptoms. I had a high powered MRI, bone scan, diagnostic ultrasound and NCV. Nothing else came up.

Thank you for adding your brain power to this puzzle.

Darlene

Ed Davis, on 7/31/04 at 10:01 (156653)

Darlene:
This is one of those scenarios which are not common. There have been a few papers on this. Clinical judgement combined with the need for treatment will ultimately make the decision. Just realize that you are in lightly charted territory and much will depend on your trust in the judegement of your doc.
Ed

Darlene on 7/31/04 at 10:21 (156654)

Thank you Dr. Ed.

I'm various curious as to what was written in the papers. Do you think this muscle might go back to regular size if I give it lots of rest?

Darlene

Ed Davis, on 7/31/04 at 14:10 (156665)

Darlene:
I believe, if I understood correctly, that the muscle was an 'accessory' muscle, that is, one that is not normally present. If that is the case then rest would calm things down but not lead to a cure. Anything that occupies space, muscle or otherwise, that places pressure on the nerve can create TTS so if one believes that the 'growth' is indeed the culprit, removing it is the treatment of choice.
Ed

Darlene on 7/31/04 at 15:14 (156669)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

The reason why I am hoping that rest may help is because I never had problems before my altered gait after neuroma release surgery. I think that walking funny for 6 months has developped this muscle into a larger muscle. Is there any logic to my way of thinking?

Darlene

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/31/04 at 21:35 (156680)

Darlene:
Resting to get away from the altered gait pattern makes sense but it is a short term measure as evntually you need to get back to activity and exercise.
Ed