Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Z........Question about Surgery to repair Torn Posterior Tibialis and Achilles Tendon Lengthening

Posted by Linda on 7/30/04 at 16:31 (156600)

I had this surgery performed on June 11th by 2 Podiatrists.
I Also had Fascia Release and Tarsal Tunnel Release over 2 yrs ago on both feet , and never had a pain free day.
My question is this:

How common is it for people that have Fascia release and tarsal tunnel release to have their posterior tibialis tear or become weak? I am just worried i might have the same thing happen to my other foot too.

I was a runner before all my surgeries,but of course now i can't do that.

Is there a way to prevent this happening to my other foot?
Thanks if you can answer me

Re: Dr Z........Question about Surgery to repair Torn Posterior Tibialis and Achilles Tendon Lengthening

Dr. Z on 7/30/04 at 17:08 (156602)

It is rare for these surgeries to cause a tear of the post tib tendon, however plantar fasciosis can place a major strain on the post tib tendon and can be damaged due to compensation. The post tib tendon must be evaluated to determine its condition. Mention your concerns to the podiatrists you are seeing

Re: Dr Z........Question about Surgery to repair Torn Posterior Tibialis and Achilles Tendon Lengthening

Pauline on 7/30/04 at 18:20 (156605)

Linda,
I hope you are not using the same doctors especially is you've been left in pain since the first surgery.

Just my opinion, I'm not a doctor, but I personally wouldn't rush back for a second round. Another opinion is in order I think.

Linda on 7/31/04 at 08:23 (156636)

Thanks for your reply Dr. Z. When I go to him I will ask him.
My fascia on my right foot is really tight. I can feel a tightness if i turn my foot outward or inward. I just don't want to have any more foot surgery if I can prevent it.

Thanks Again

Linda on 8/15/04 at 08:56 (157949)

I had 3 opinions on this, and my first doctor was the only good opinion. He actually sent me to a 4th doctor,which performed my surgery and he assisted.
I was made to get a second opinion by my health insurance before they would consult to surgery anyway.