Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur and continued activity?

Posted by Helena S. on 7/31/04 at 02:18 (156631)

What do you recommend reg. continued exercise and activity, while experiencing the pain of a heel spur?
I have had it for 3 weeks now, the pain is not unbearable but it gets worse when I exercise, so should I rest the foot and for how long?

Re: Heel spur and continued activity?

Steve G on 7/31/04 at 12:50 (156664)

Helena - read the heel pain book on this site to ensure you understand the problem, treatment options, etc. I would recommend either swimming or a bike - you need to give your feet a break.

Re: Heel spur and continued activity?

Helena S. on 8/01/04 at 21:45 (156745)

Thanks for your reply. I have been reading here a bit and it looks like once you have PF or Heelspurs, then the recovery can be lengthy.
In my case, I think I overdid excercising, + three weeks ago I bumped my heel too hard in the ground, while playing tennis in new shoes, that didn't have the proper shock absorption in the heels. For about two weeks I continued excercising, thinking that the pain would pass, but it gradually got worse. The last week I've been resting it, but it doesn't seem to heal up very fast. Today, it felt a little better, but how long can I expect for it to take to heal up completely? I have only had it three weeks. Can it develop into a worse condition if I exercise and use the foot? And will it begin hurting again, if I took up playing tennis again, once the pain was gone?
I guess I feel like a lot of you people, who can't stand inactivity. A lot of my social life also happens through my tennis, so it's a small catastrophy if I'd have to stop for months.