Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

toenail fungus

Posted by garyr on 7/31/04 at 20:09 (156676)

Has there been any research or experimental proceedures to cure the fungus of the toenail buy using a lazer to produce pin holes in the infected nail directly over the site of the fungus, and then injecting a antifungul solution into the area. This could be a far faster cure, and less risky in terms of effects on the liver and other body functions. I live in metro Atlanta, Ga and would be willing to travel of experimental proceedures if available.
Thanks, G. Rosen

Re: there is a fungus among us

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/31/04 at 22:08 (156688)

gary:

I know of no such studies but know that a number of docs who have tried exactly what you described with some success. i don't know if anyone is doing that regularly.

There is a topical medication, FDA approved for nail fungus, called Penlac lacquer. It can be effective especially if one files the nails thin to enhance penetration. The European studies on Penlac look good but the US studies, not so good. The difference is that the European studies included filing the nails thin and the US studies did not.
Ed

Re: there is a fungus among us

garyr on 8/01/04 at 17:11 (156726)

Thanks for the quick reply...is Penlac available OTC or is a screipt required?
Thanks, Gary R