Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weird foot pain post epf

Posted by BarbaraM on 8/01/04 at 21:25 (156742)

Does anyone have foot pain after EPF that they cannot pin point where exactly the pain is coming from? I returned to my dr after 2 mos post surgery. My foot hurts all the time...sometimes it is in the arch, sometimes the top of the arch and a lot of times the side of the foot. It is so painful to put weight on. When I tried to show the dr where the pain was it was very hard to pinpoint other than to say MY FOOT HURTS. The heel is the ONLY spot that doesn't bother me.
PLEASE PLEASE..if you know of this or anything to help me - pls email me at whitekar54 @ yahoo.com THANKS

Re: weird foot pain post epf

april l on 8/01/04 at 23:17 (156746)

Yes, that is exactly what happened to me. i still have an achiness ontop of my foot by my toes, and it's been almost a year. I think it takes a long time for those pains to go away. I went thru this surgery twice, and the same thing happened both times. Eventually, the pains went away permanently.

Marty from SLC on 8/02/04 at 12:50 (156762)

oh that's good april. It's been 1.5 years now and I still I would say at least 6 months to go before it's inertly good. That is if the rate it's decreasing in intensity holds true.

Marty from SLC on 8/02/04 at 12:50 (156763)

I think this happens often to many here. are you going to physical therapy?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/04 at 13:34 (156767)

Barbara:
That is quite common after EPF. The plantar fascia acts as a 'strut' to hold the foot up so when it is cut, pressure is transmitted to other areas of the foot, that is, other structures must do the work of the plantar fascia.
Ed

Shell D. on 8/03/04 at 17:40 (156853)

I had pain on the top of my foot 3 weeks after EPF and found I had a fractured cuineform. Talk about confusing!!!!! That's been VERY difficult to heal and become pain free.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/04 at 11:06 (157143)

Shell:
Yes, but not really confusing because the cuneiforms is one of the bones being supported by the fascia. Cut the fascia and now the bones in the midfoot area have a lot more work to do. If the fascia is to be cut, I strongly recommend a cast (real molded one, not a removable one) to support the foot long enough to allow it to adapt to the changes in stress across the foot. After that, an orthotic is essential to, again, ensure that weight bearing forces across the foot do not cause excess strain or stress on the areas being supported by the fascia.

Plantar fascial release surgery is technically very simple but removes an essential supporting structure from the foot so it is something that involves meticulous after care to keep the foot from being harmed by the changes that have occurred. Lucky are those who have the fascia cut and rapidly adapt to the changes in foot function that have occurred.
Ed

Re: april

raymond m,l. on 8/11/04 at 16:22 (157584)

pleare dont lison to april she is only a waitress at a mexican restaunt and she is a big dummy her pain is from being 200 pd over weight