Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

e.s.w.t.

Posted by sherian on 8/02/04 at 14:03 (156768)

IM GOING TO HAVE E.S.W.T. ON AUG 16 I WAS WANTING TO NO IS THERE GOING DOWN TIME.HOW SOON WILL BEABLE TO DO THE THINGS I USE TO DO? WHAT WILL BEABLE DO THE FIRST FEW DAYS AFTER THE TREATMENT?WILL BE TO DRIVE,COOK AND GO THE STORE AND DO MY FOOD SHOPING RIGHT AFTER THE TREATMENT.IT TOOK MY INSURANCE A LONG TIME TO OK THIS AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO MY IBUPROFEH WHILE BEEN WAITING SO ALL ACHES AND PAINS HAVE WARE ME OUT.AND THE BACK PAIN I HAD BEEN HAVING FOR A LONG TIME IS WORSE AND HAD TO HAVE A XRAY AND FOUND I HAVE DISK DISEASE AND MY BACK REAL BEEN HURTING.AND SENTS IM GOING TO HAVE THE E.S.W.T.AUG 16 I WILL HALF TO WAIT TO TAKE MY MORTION.IN WAY I JUST WANTED TO NO WHEN I WILL BEABLE TO BE ON FEET AND WHAT I CAN DO AND CANT DO.

Re: e.s.w.t.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/04 at 18:37 (156776)

Sherian:
Discuss this with your physician but we generally advise against taking anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen for 6 to 12 weeks after ESWT and stopping anti-inflammatories 2-3 days before ESWT. ESWT will not cause much down time itself, perhaps a day or two. A lot will depend on how sore the area is going into the treatment. Also keep in mind that if you are doing other things like night splints, stretching, physical therapy, orthotics-- those are things that you will want to continue to do after ESWT. An ESWT treatment takes about 12 weeks to work and that is one of the reasons why you need to keep up the other treatments except for anti-inflammatories.
Ed