Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How come????

Posted by Pauline on 8/03/04 at 09:29 (156815)

How come we choose from just two people to run for
president and 50 for Miss America?

Re: How come????

Richard, C.Ped on 8/03/04 at 11:03 (156825)

That is one swimsuit competition I do NOT want to see.

Pauline on 8/03/04 at 11:07 (156826)

You'd have fat bodies, fat necks and fat heads. What's wrong with that????

Dorothy on 8/03/04 at 11:20 (156828)

One has meaning. The other is stunningly stupid. One is the result of representative democracy, at least that is the ideal and the heritage. The other is an absurd marketing technique, with 'competition' among a small segment of American female society as its medium. One is owned by Donald Trump. The other is not yet.

Pauline on 8/03/04 at 12:28 (156831)

Dorothy do you truly belive one is the result of a 'representative democracy' when third parties are slapped with sets of restrictions by the other two?

Dorothy on 8/03/04 at 15:22 (156841)

No. That is why I added the qualifying statement, 'at least that is the ideal and heritage'...or something like that (I'm not looking at my words right now.) But I don't think that lots of parties is the answer; I think lots of educated, informed, active,responsible, courageous citizens is the answer AND public financing of campaigns is the answer. But I worry we may be too late for all of that.

You have provoked me into the fringes of a political discussion. I must back away.

Pauline on 8/03/04 at 16:06 (156846)

Dorothy,
I didn't mean to provoke you but you're right something was needed long ago and we've past that point I think.

I personally would like to weigh in the candidates when they begin their life long service to the nation and see how much 'fat' they gain over the years. We all know it's not just in weight alone.

Time to leave this subject before you know who goes crazy mad alone with both of us.

Our weather is beautiful. It's always good to talk about the weather:*

Dorothy on 8/03/04 at 16:52 (156850)

Yes, the weather is beautiful - but I see rough seas ahead, storms and dark clouds......I leave it to you to decide if this is meteorology or political science. :-)

Richard, C.Ped on 8/04/04 at 08:29 (156892)

I am at the point now that I just change the channel when the news starts in about political stuff. I know how I feel and how I am going to vote. I am soooo tired of the negativity the news spouts off. Not only about political stuff, but murders, and crime in general.

Kathy G on 8/04/04 at 09:16 (156899)

There was an interesting program on just that subject on WBZ radio last week, Richard. WBZ is in Boston and used to be a group W station. They're now owned by Viacom. They happen to be my favorite source for AM news and I watch their eleven o'clock news.

The host, David Brudnoy, is in his mid-sixties and his guest was a fellow who's been a news anchor for WBZ television for about thirty years. He's about fify-nine, I'd guess. Both are young if you're fifty-five like me!:)

They both said that it used to be that the news anchors and individual stations had something to say about the stories they ran. If a reporter found something they wanted to report on for five minutes, for example, and the news manager thought it was viable, he'd let them run with it. Now, since huge conglomerates own most of the stations, decisions are made on ratings and what sells are negative and sensational stories.

Brudnoy insisted that if one local station would dare to run different stories, their rating would go up. A young woman, early thirties (mere infant!), who's been an anchor for WBZ television for a couple of years, was another guest and she said that a few years ago, she was part of an interesting experiment. The television station in Seattle, for which she worked, gave them the go-ahead and the budget to choose their own stories, making them as in-depth as they wanted. The deal was that if in two years, their ratings had gone up, they would be allowed to continue to do it. It was a generous budget, she said, and most of them were top-notch reporters. She said that she did some of her best work there and she is an excellent reporter. You guessed it. Their ratings went way down and the plug was pulled on the project.

So, as viewers, we have little to choose from because the stations are all running the same garbage. If I want in-depth reporting, I get it from my newspapers. And a lot of time, I turn on the news just to get the weather and the sports. And thank goodness for NPR!

Sad commentary on society, huh? It's a good thing that we, at Heelspurs.com, are so perfect, isn't it?

john h on 8/04/04 at 14:55 (156921)

Ok Kathy if you like those guys then you will love me.

Kathy G on 8/04/04 at 17:17 (156931)

David Brudnoy, John, is a Libertarian gay who is also a member of MENSA. Whenever he speaks, I learn something. I don't always agree with him but I always am interested in what he has to say. He was never open about his homosexuality until about eight ago when he almost died from complications of AIDS. He has been on the cocktail since that time and been doing very well. He almost died last year of a rare form of cancer, non HIV related, but he's rebounded. He's quite amazing. He still isn't blatant about his sexuality and although it may upset the gay community, I admire him for it.

He majored in Japanese studies of all things in college and I believe that's what he has his PHD in. He teaches part-time at Boston University. Just a very intelligent, unusual guy.

Let's see, you're not gay. I don't think you're a Libertarian and although you're very smart, I don't know if you're a genius. On the other hand, you have taught us all a great deal so I guess you share that with Brudnoy! And I'm sure he can't fly a plane and do the things that you have done in your lifetime.

The older I get (I just had my birthday a couple of weeks ago), the more I realize that age is just a number.

Speaking of which, can you believe the Cowboys signed Vinny Testaverte, at the age of forty, to be their starting quarterback? You've got to love that!

marie on 8/04/04 at 18:49 (156938)

That's why when 'This Land' came out it knocked me on the floor laughing. still does.

http://jibjab.com/

Rated PG13