Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot disease

Posted by john h on 8/03/04 at 12:22 (156830)

I guess one might have this and have PF symptoms??

Re: Foot disease

Pauline on 8/03/04 at 13:35 (156832)

I don't think PF has the distinctive nodules as pictured on your link which describes ledderhose. We've had a few posters diagnosed with this painful condition.

Dr. Z on 8/03/04 at 16:05 (156845)

To all posters
This link is showing both non-operative and operative treatments that are dangerous to your foot health. There are so many podiatric treatments that are effective and not on this list that I just don't understand. I wonder how much experience these medical doctors have with this condition.
Dr. Ed has listed many effective treatments on heel spurs.com that are non-operative.
I would avoid this link for plantar fibroma treatments

john h on 8/03/04 at 18:25 (156858)

I had never even heard of it Dr. Z.

Pete on 8/03/04 at 18:37 (156859)

Ouch, that's looks painful !

Pauline on 8/03/04 at 20:10 (156868)

Dr. Z & John h,
We had a poster a while back that went to Mayo searching for treatment for this condition. According to his posts although there may be a variety of treatments most are not very successful. It apparently has a very high recurrance rate.

The post appeared about the same time as others about another condition, Peryronies Disease.

john h on 8/04/04 at 14:49 (156918)

Pauline: Does not sound like anything I would want. I think the article mentioned there was a high occurence rate. The part about last resort removing the fascia really sounded way out.

Just got back from the Texas Back Institute in Dallas. My Doctor had my MRI nad Discogram results and gave me some options. I knew from my discogram that at L5/S1 there was some serious pain when they injected dye into that area. He said there was an 80% chance of good improvement with a fusion at that level only. He suggested we wait until Oct or Nov when he thinks the FDA will approve use nation wide of the artifical disc. He is doing a lot of them in FDA trials and has been doing them for over a year. They have been used in Germany and Europe for many years. The up side for an artifical disc is you do not wait around for a bone to fuse. If one has good bone density and no circulatory problems the disc is inserted using an approach from the front so the big muscles of the back are not cut. He said it was about a 1.5 hour operation and out of the hospital in 2 days. Said I could fly home on 3rd day. He said his results with the artifical disc have really been great. I suspect he is one of a few who are authorized by the FDA to perform this surgery. This all supprised me as 25 years ago when I had surgery things were very different. This is one of the top 2-3 Doctors in the U.S. for spine surgery and that is all he does. He was one of the founders of the Texas Back Institute. We covered all the downsides and I have several months to make up my mind. He certainly does not push surgery but just presents you with the facts and lets you make up your mind. While I was there I overheard him tell two people he did not recommend surgery. In the meantime I need a bone density scan to see if I qualify for the artifical disc other wise I would use the cage with the bone inside it which has to fuse. I was worried about level L4/L5 and L3/L4 but he said they looked pretty good. No scar tissue to speak of was noted on the MRI. Just a slight bulge. I looked at a chart from where their patients come from and they come from all over the U.S and actually the world. I saw him on Good Morning America some years ago after his institute developed some sort of new procedure. I think they may have been the first to insert the spine stimulator. Side note: I took a taxi from Dallas Love Field to Plano where Texas Back is located. Cost was $29. When I went back I just opened the yellow pages and called for what I thought was a taxi. A few minutes later as I am sitting in front of the building I get a cell call and the guy says I am pulling up John look for a black unmarked Mercedes. Up pulls a brand new black 'big Mercedes' equipped with GPS phone and all. I knew I had somehow called the wrong people but what was I going to do. I was just hoping I had enough cash to cover what ever this boat ride would cost. As we approached the airport he asked will you be paying by credit card or cash? Wowwwww! Now I knew I was in trouble and said it depends on how much this will cost. Be the way the windows were blacked out or shaded. I felt like Tony Soprano. I got lucky as it cost $67. It could have been $200 and I would not have know the difference. The darn yellow page add was under TAXI and it just said ride in a nice car.

Dr. Z on 8/04/04 at 16:21 (156926)

My cousin is post eight months with the new disc works pretty well ( FDA trial) . She use to eat pain pills and couldn't sleep. Now she is pain free. Wait until the new disc is on the marktet

Dorothy on 8/04/04 at 17:25 (156934)

John! You lead a fascinating life, mister!!

I am so interested in your back experience. That is very intriguing.
What good information you got, eh? And this new option is just mind-boggling. Did you get any names of people you can talk to about their experience with it, that is those who have the artificial disc?

john h on 8/05/04 at 10:01 (156971)

Dr. Z my Doctor said it should receive final FDA approval in October. Since he is heavily involved in the FDA trials and has performed many surgeries using the artifical disc he is on top of what is going on. Practically speaking from a lay persons viewpoint if you do not have to wait 6 months for the fusion to complete you would seem to be in a much better recovery position. When he advised me I could fly or drive home (300 miles) in several days it sure got my attention because I remember my surgery from 25 years ago. Not cutting through the large back muscles and a procedure that takes about 1.5 hours also is an attention getter. I certainly am leaning towards this come about November if I meet the criteria. Now if you foot people could come up with an artifical fascia????

Pauline on 8/05/04 at 10:02 (156972)

Sounds like your in for a bit of healing time if you go ahead with your surgery. I'll add you to my prayer list and I hope everything even the decision to have the surgery or not is the very best outcome for you.

My prayer list has really grown over the past year. So many people with so many different health conditions.

john h on 8/05/04 at 10:06 (156974)

Dorothy with all the push on Privacy these days I did not even attempt to ask about names. He was very clear on the statistics and that there was an 80% chance I would receive significant improvement. He seems to be a very conservative Doctor who lays the facts before you and you ultimately make your decision. I asked him how long I would have to remain in Dallas and he said just long enough for him to examine the incision after a couple of days. Since they have been using this artificail disc in Europe for some time I will start some research.

Re: artifical disc

john h on 8/05/04 at 10:44 (156977)

While doing some internet research this morning I came across this article on artifical disc written by my Doctor covering the subject:

Pauline on 8/05/04 at 12:57 (156985)

Just make certain the one he puts in isn't recalled. I had a friend have a recall on her hip joint. Neither of us could believe it, but the FDA
pulled it off the market and she along with probably hundreds of other patients across the country had to have it removed and a different one inserted. I think this was probably the worse recall I've ever heard of.
What an unfortunate experience for her and there was nothing she could do.

Why are the hip replacements being recalled?
According to Sulzer Orthopedics, an oily residue was left on the surface of the implanted shell because of a manufacturing mistake. In some cases, the residue caused inflammation, pain and prevented the patients' bones from
bonding normally with the hip implant. Loosening of the shell
may occur because of this reaction.

How many people will be affected by this recall?
The number of patients who will actually need surgery to remove and replace this defective part is unknown. Hip replacements, by Sulzer Orthopedics, are implanted in an estimated 17,500 patients. Most of the patients with recalled hip replacements are in California, Texas, Arizona and Florida.

john h on 8/05/04 at 13:11 (156988)

I have a way to go before I commit to this surgery Pauline. The particular version of this disc in #3 so over the years they have upgraded it. From some of my readings over 4000 have been implanted. Expected life expectancy of the device is 50 years. I have been on the FDA site reading about the trials which ended sometime ago. It is interesting they took 329 people and put the device in about half of them and used the standard cage with bone fusion for the others and none of them knew which got which. For something that major I would want to know. I do not think any of the devices have had to be removed in the U.S.

Pauline on 8/05/04 at 13:27 (156992)

We are fortunate to have people actually go through these trials. I'm not certain I'd ever want to be a trial patient.

john h on 8/06/04 at 10:16 (157067)

Pauline you have been going through my 'trial' for the past couple of years. People in pain seem willing to try anything. Just think of all the surgeries,etc and know that someone had to be first.