Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deserve foot problems

Posted by Pauline on 8/03/04 at 16:33 (156848)

Why do women continue to give themselves foot problems by wearing shoes that are too high, too tight, too pointed and have no room in the toe box?

Ask a man if he would put up with pinching and hurting feet to wear a certain shoe or keep up with fashions trends and he'd say no, but a woman is willing to ruin her feet just to be in style.

It's crazy yet as long as women continue to purchase the junk that is on the market I think they deserve the pain and foot deformities acquired.

The sad part is that often times they put their daughter's feet in peril as well because they think cute is better then sensible. Not long ago I saw a five year old child wearing a Mary Jane style shoe with at least an 1 1/2' heel. She looked ackward and walked even worse as her mother dragged her around. Tell me why does a 5 year old need a shoe like this? They can't buy them for themselves so who is at fault here?

Re: Deserve foot problems

Leona on 8/03/04 at 17:54 (156855)

I agree, those shoes are impossible to walk in. By the time you get them broke in just bareable to walk, a big old corn or bunion shows up. Stick to sneaks or comfy flats with arch support. Avoid the blisters that come with these tight nonsense shoes.

Pete on 8/03/04 at 18:44 (156860)

Pauline, I think they call it fashion !

Think you were just a bit harsh about women deserving their pain and deformities, although I fully agree about children needing sensible shoes. With all my foot problems my kids get the best shoes going. Unfortuntaely, some parents treat their kids like fashion accessories, although companies are great at marketing:- The unhealthy fashion shoes cost less than the sensible 'kind to your feet ones'

Richard, C.Ped on 8/04/04 at 08:26 (156891)

I tell all my female patients this: I don't wear high heels and neither should you. My wife said she is sure a man invented heels, and not a woman.