Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Small town flooding

Posted by Necee on 8/04/04 at 01:00 (156885)

Our community was hit hard last week with torrential rain!

We had over 13inches of rainfall in less than 12 hours....it was unbelievable. Over 200 homes were flooded in our town and it was declared a disaster area.

There is a river that runs through this small town, and it was completely out of its banks and destroying everything that got in its path. Thank goodness our home was spared.

One family sought refuge on the roof of their home...the father found a piece of lumber, poked a hole in the ceiling and got his family into the attic, from there he poked another hole in the roof, they all got on the rooftop and waited there until help arrived.

There is just so much devastation, it's hard to believe that it could rain that much especially this time of year.

Necee

Re: Small town flooding

Kathy G on 8/04/04 at 08:50 (156896)

Necee,

I'm sorry to hear that. After seeing what the water did to my sister's house in Annapolis during Hurricane Isabelle, I have a new appreciation of what a mess it can be and how much damage it can cause.

I thought of you when I saw the news stories about the floods. Is your new house, or your current ranch, anywhere near the flood area?

It sure has been a strange year, weather-wise.

Suzanne D. on 8/04/04 at 19:54 (156949)

Oh, my, Necee! I'm thankful your home was spared. Will the family you mentioned be able to clean up the house and move back in? We have had flooding in our area, and I know how devastating it can be.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/04/04 at 23:31 (156959)

Oh my! How terrible. I am so glad that your home was spared. It must have been so frightening, though.

The weather has certainly been odd this summer.

Carole C

Necee on 8/05/04 at 01:01 (156962)

Kathy, our current home is no where near the river, thank goodness.

I've not been able to go into the area hardest hit, they have police barricades up, and are only letting in those who live there or the cleanup crews. We have seen lots of Red Cross trucks in town, and several disaster team vans moving in and out of the area.
One business had their roof cave in because of the amount of rain, several bridges were closed, which made getting through town difficult. This is so very reminiscent of the sme4 that hit our small town in 1994.

I failed to mention in my first post that there was a bridge that collapsed the night of the heavy rain.....two men were driving to work (seperate vehicles) in the wee hours of the morning, it was dark outside, and neither saw that the bridge in front of them was out until it was too late.....they found one truck at daylight, and a body was recovered 8 miles downstream, the other hasn't been found yet. A third car approached the area, and noticed that something didn't look quite right, the driver slammed on his brakes, stopping just inches before the edge of the collapsed bridge...he got out to investigate and about that time he saw headlights approaching from the opposite direction, he ran to his car and grabbed a flashlight, he began honking his horn and flashing his headlights at the car, he ran in front of his vehicle frantically waving his flashlight in the air, his actions prevented the approaching car from going over the edge. It's tragic that 2 lives were lost that night, but it could have been much worse.

Necee

Necee

Necee on 8/05/04 at 01:08 (156963)

The family has been cleaning up as best they can Suzanne....It's going to take a lot to renovate that house. I think at this point they are just trying to salvage what they can of family heirlooms, etc. Like most of the other homes destroyed, it will be a while before things are back to normal.

Necee