Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video


Posted by frank h on 8/04/04 at 11:13 (156905)

I have had plantar fasciitis for 18 months. During this time I had orthotics cutom made for me. I have never been able to wear them properly because they aggravate the condition. I have had physio,sports massage as well as other treatments during this time and I have also bought over the counter orthotics which do help. The condition is a great deal better than it was but does flare up at times and I also have a heel spur. My problem is what do I do about the custom made orthotics which cost 150 pounds sterling?
I am concerned that if I dont wear custom made orthotics it might mean I will have a recurrence of the condition and should I spend more money revisiting the podiatrist to have the orthotics sent back to the manufacturer?

Re: orthotics

Julie on 8/04/04 at 11:36 (156907)


Yes, you should tell your podiatrist that you cannot wear the orthotics. He ought to take them back for adjustment without charge. If they aggravate your PF it is possible they have been badly casted, or badly made, and the doctor and the manufacturer should be prepared to go to some trouble to get them right for you.

18 months is a long time to have PF without seeing any improvement. What other conservative treatments, besides orthotics, did your podiatrist prescribe? If you have not yet read the heel pain book (click here and you'll be taken to it) please do: it will give you an overview of the condition and the various treatments that can help.

Re: orthotics

Pete on 8/04/04 at 18:51 (156939)

Not sure whether you have 'hard' orthotics ? If so, then get your pod to put some cushioning over the top. This may alleviate some of your discomfort, it did for me since I could never stand the hard ones.

Re: orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 8/05/04 at 08:55 (156969)

I would not hesitate to have them adjusted. It may be that it needs better posting to relieve certain areas.