Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foam box method,ok?

Posted by Elaine S. on 8/04/04 at 11:31 (156906)

The doctor is going to make impressions of my feet tomorrow by using a foam box.I have read that you should not stand up for this method.You should be semi weightbearing.Does this method work in your opinion?

Re: Foam box method,ok?

Cyndi T. on 8/04/04 at 13:37 (156910)

Elaine,

The impression for making my first pair of orthotics last year, (which, by the way, were hard), was done by a podiatrist with a casting procedure molded to my foot. However, a few months ago, I found a chiropractor who prescribed a better orthotic for me, which involved taking the impressions in a foam box. While stepping into the box, he supervised and guided my foot to make sure that it was done correctly (and I was standing). Like you, I was a little skeptical about the procedure, but I found that the new orthotics are much more comfortable than the old ones, and a perfect fit. I'm sure that someone will write back and ask me what they are, so I will tell you that they are called Footlevelers. They are made by a co. in Va. and are only available by prescription. These are the same orthotics that someone said that Dr. Sandell prescribed, as do many chiropractors from what I understand.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/05/04 at 08:53 (156968)

Do not stand. Do not stand. Do not stand.

You can not get a proper sub talor neutral impression if you stand. Your body weight will also allow you to hit the bottom of the box, thus creating a flat heel. Also, the foam cracks, and the plaster will absorb into the foam. We stopped using foam a few years ago.

Did I mention that you should NOT stand???

Elaine S. on 8/05/04 at 10:09 (156975)

Thanks, I will not stand!!! I promise.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/05/04 at 15:34 (157008)

And remember.....
Do not stand.
hee hee

Rose on 8/05/04 at 22:27 (157030)

I was told today that the foot levelers were not good, but mine feel better than the rigid ones that were casted. I got mine from a chiropractor and he used the foam box. I did stand.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/04 at 08:15 (157052)

I am not a fan of those at all. The ones I have seen around here do not put the foot in neutral, and have all these lumpy bumpies incorporated in them that are just not needed. I have had countless presctiptions to either adjust them to fit properly or to discard them and start all over again.

Nick, C.Ped on 8/07/04 at 05:42 (157132)

Richard,
Don't Forget to tell them NOT to STAND!!!! (I AGREE HANDS DOWN)

Richard, C.Ped on 8/09/04 at 08:42 (157246)

Oh, thanx Nick. I almost forgot.

Don't stand!!!!!
haha