Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bi-lateral PF and night splints

Posted by Scott Mc on 8/04/04 at 13:29 (156909)

Should I (can I?) wear 2 night splints for bi-lateral PF? Or, treat only one foot (worst sie?). Or, move the single splint back and forth between feet? At what frequency?

Re: Bi-lateral PF and night splints

Pauline on 8/04/04 at 14:43 (156915)

Scott,
When I had bilateral P.F. I wore two night splints. I explained in an earlier post that I found it actually better to wear two because when I turned in bed I didn't accidently clunk the other ankle with the splint and if I did, it didn't hurt.

I'm not a doctor so I have no idea how the Docs here will reply, but wearing two can be done as far a I know without any problem accept the expense of purchasing two.

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/04/04 at 15:48 (156923)

Scott,

There is no problem wearing 2 night splints other than the obvious problem of getting a good nights sleep. As I've stated many times on this site, my preference of night splints is for the Strassburg Sock which is not bulky and is much less of a problem wearing bilaterally. Check out the Strassburg Sock website for more information. (I have no financial interest in the company).

Scott Mc on 8/05/04 at 13:09 (156987)

I guess I'm looking for a recommendation: If bi-lateral PF, would a DPM(s) recommend wearing two splints or 'socks'(at twice the expense)? Or, can essentially equal results be obtained using one splint or sock? Keep on one foot until better? Or, alternate? Alternate at what frequency?

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/05/04 at 18:51 (157019)

Since the Strassburg sock is relatively inexpensive, I think it is practical to purchase 2 and use them at the same time without a problem and without a financial burden.

Scott Mc on 8/09/04 at 13:33 (157270)

Where do I get Strassburg socks? How do they compare to splints in terms of efficacy, comfort, and walking to bathroom? Thanks.