Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

terrible heel pain from standing long periods

Posted by RBD on 8/04/04 at 14:07 (156911)

Please help,
I was diagnosed with heel spurs and my job requires me to stand for long periods (up to 8 hrs). Would you please recommend a brand of shoes that don't look like sneakers?
Thank you,

Re: terrible heel pain from standing long periods

Terri on 8/05/04 at 20:33 (157024)

I'm not a dr and don't suffer from PF, I have bilateral TTS instead with one surgery behind me. Shoes are soooo important to all of us. Luckily I was able to find a shoe store operated by 2 brothers that are C-Peds and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My company changed from a jeans and tennis shoes environment to business dress and I scrambled to find shoes. These guys outfitted me with 2 dressy looking pairs of orthopedic shoes that my inserts fit into beautifully without having to cut them down.

Other possibilities to look into: can you get a padded mat to stand on? Would your employer allow a short stool that you can kneel on, alternating one leg at a time in order to take pressure off your feet?

Be aware that due to the Disability Act, employers have to make allowances as long as the employee can perform the job competently and safely.

Good luck!