Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New pain - cramping/broken toes?

Posted by Mike on 8/05/04 at 14:22 (156997)

Just a quick overview:
Condition: Bi-latteral TTS/Diabetic Neuropathy
I had release surgery in Jan 04 by Dellon on my left foot/ankle/knee. Was pain free for almost 2 months. After that, pain came back about 75% of what it was prior.
Percocet eliminates about 80% of all pain except for the burning which nothing will touch. It really has given my most of my life back but dont wanna get hooked so pain Dr is trying all sorts of other drugs which havent been doing anything so far.

Most recent has been Desipramine and Keppra for about 2 months with no effect on pain. He just added Zoloft to the mix which Ive been on for just over a week now. I was told it can take up to 2 months for it to 'kick in'. Man Im tired of hearing that!

Anyway, over the past month I have been having increased cramping/pressure in my feet - just behind my toes - Feels like a car is parked on my feet.
In just the last few days, Ive noticed my toes feel like they are broken when I walk (about 50% of the time) They feel as though they are sticking straight up into the air but they are actually in the normal position.

I have also noticed for the first time that the foot that was operated on hurts about 50% more than my other foot. Before that, both feet always hurt about the same.

I was wondering if anyone here has been on any of these drugs and/or has had similar sensations after surgery.

Re: New pain - cramping/broken toes?

Terri on 8/07/04 at 11:19 (157144)

Mike, have you done any type of physical therapy (p.t.)? I'm thinking from your description of feeling that your toes are pulling up that maybe you could try some therapy to stretch the tendons. Try picking up marbles with your toes to get them moving.

A few people here have posted about using contrast baths. This basically shocks the nerves and helps them to re-learn what is normal.

After I had surgery, also this past Jan., I underwent 4 weeks of p.t. then followed-up by getting a personal trainer, who is also a therapist, to design an exercise program for me. I've found that calf stretches keep me moving best. But what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else. Have you talked to your dr about all this? Not the pain mgmt dr, but the one that did your surgery, Dr. Dellon. Could be that scar tissue has developed. This is what happened to me and I'm seeing my dr next Friday to discuss using hyaluronidase to dissolve it.

I also suffer with cramps due to my TTS. Not everyone has this symptom, seems actually very few of us here do from my reading. Neurontin has helped the cramping but I can't function on it so quit taking it. Now the cramps are back but it's my choice so I'll deal with it. Hot soaks help with cramping, so does exercise and stretching.

My foot that was operated on also hurts more now, like you I have bilateral TTS and they hurt equally before surgery. I was doing better until the scar tissue developed. Even though I was going thru p.t. it still developed. I think some of us are more prone to that than others.

Are you taking any vitamins? I take B6, B12, 1000 I.U.'s of E and a multi-vitamin daily. The B vitamins help muscle tissue and nerve development. My dr started me on them before the surgery.

I hope maybe some of what I've written here will help, or point you in a direction that will lead to some relief. I don't think any of us will ever be 'normal' again, but we keep looking for solutions just by coming here and sharing our experiences. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.