Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoes/orthotics????????

Posted by Rose on 8/05/04 at 22:23 (157029)

I have three pairs of orthotics. I have one hard rigid set that were made by a podiatrist about 3 years ago before I had release surgery (casting method.) I have one pair of soft foot levelers that were made by my chiropractor by stepping on the foam that I have had about 2 years. I also have a set of flexible soft plastic ones I got at the fair that I wear in my pool shoes and in the pool etc.They actually feel better than the other two in both shoes.
I have always worn NB shoes. I have the 1122 and they are good but over a year old now. I got a new pair of NB 842 walking shoes but they do not feel that good. They do have the roll bar.
Today I stopped at an orthopedic shoe store and the owner knew much about all sorts of foot problems. He said my shoes bend too much and are not straight enough on the bottom. He talked to me a long time and had a lot of information. I ended up purchasing a pair of Brooks shoes that do seem to provide much more support than the NB 842. He said they were much better but the NB 1122 are also good. I also purchased a pair of Drew shoes. They are a Mary Jane style with a lot of support, more than the lace up SAS shoes I think. That makes it so I can finally wear something more than pants.
They do castings and sell orthodics there. He died not pressure me. I just wonder if I should consider getting more orthodics? I had surgery a year ago. He said I needed a prescription from my surgeon first. Casting is the best, yes? They are rigid and the full length of the shoe I understnad?
One more question, does it matter whether the orthodic is under the insert or on toop of the insert of the shoe?
I appreaciate input as to what everybody thinks.
I did have the surgery a year ago and still have much pain. I use a cane and even crutches at times. I need a scooter for any long trips. I stretch, do water aerobics, wear the boot at night, which helps. But it is still very painful and, even with all the stretching, icing, soaking, physical therapy and massage, even transverse friction massage and deep tissue massages....I am still very very tight in the arch and the calf.

Re: shoes/orthotics????????

Dorothy on 8/05/04 at 23:50 (157040)

A number of people here, myself included, have found the Brooks (Ariel, Addiction for women, the Beast for men) to be good PF shoes so good luck to you.
Have you considered doing some strengthening exercise for your lower body and feet? There is research and anecdotal evidence - as well as from posters here - showing that it is very effective. Have you considered the Foot Trainers (www.footrainers.com)?
Good luck.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/04 at 08:17 (157053)

I love Brooks. I sell and wear them myself. With the Drew shoes, check and see if your insurance will cover orthopedic shoes. It is very possible that they will.

Rose on 8/06/04 at 11:28 (157072)

Thanks so much for the comments

Dee C on 8/06/04 at 14:44 (157079)

Are the exercises ok for post surgery people though? Had my surgery 2 mos. ago and need some exercise. Know about using a exercise bike?

lauriel on 8/06/04 at 17:32 (157099)

I have a problem with brooks for just what you described. they are too stiff for me and it makes my PF worse and pain where I had my TTS surgery. I like NB because they are more flexible. so I have a $90 pair of new brooks tennies collecting dust.

I will have to check out Drew, never heard of them.

Laurie

Rose on 8/06/04 at 19:32 (157105)

interesting. I wore them out shopping and they definately offer more support than any shoes I have had as yet. The pain was better. SO I will see. They feel almost like a cast on my foot and I can feel that I am very supported.

Buck T. on 8/07/04 at 19:51 (157177)

Hi Lauriel: You might check out the heelspurs book about making shoes more flexible. It worked for my brooks. If you can't find it, be glad to pass info along. Buck