Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

No one can find anything wrong

Posted by Cyndi on 8/07/04 at 19:59 (157178)

I have had many of the treatments you mention:
Rest, Ice, X-rays, Tens Device, Nerve Test,Custom Orthodics made and refitted,925 New Balance Shoes, Cryo-surgery,MRI, and a Bone Scan is scheduled.
Part of the previous was cut and pasted from my previous post. Well,now My bone scan came back with no information. In fact, nothing done has helped and all the texts show all ok.
I may have another nerve conduction test by another Dr has been suggested and then just refer to a pain management Dr. if nothing shown again.

I cannot believe all these tests and rest since February have not helped and My shoes are so tight they hurt, even the socks hurt now. My back is even now involved.
Has anyone else not been able to get a diagonis of something?
I am hurting so bad......

Re: No one can find anything wrong

Kay on 8/07/04 at 20:23 (157180)

Where do your feet hurt? Nothing can be seen physically wrong with mine either but they did a tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis surgery on me,,,,,didn't help. I have to take time released morphine to lead a normal life. Still can't stay on my feet much though. My pain was/is in my heels and arch of feet.

Cyndi on 8/08/04 at 19:49 (157222)

NO Pain in my heels at all, just the arch area like broken glass and/or tingling like you hit your elbow. It is worse after the Cryo-surgery to wear the sock hurts. I also think the fat pads of heels may be softer due to the first two cortizone shots, They were not tender at the beginning but hurt if I do not wear padded socks, My socks are Cool Wool and hot right now. At least I could wear a sandel with alittle heel before just around the house. I cannot work or really even leave the house.Sorry you had the surgery Kay, Thanks for your answer!

Marty from SLC on 8/09/04 at 11:56 (157255)

Have you looked into periphial neuropathy as a possibilty? If not do a search on the net to find out more about it. I don't know if a nerve test can rule this condition out.

Good Luck,

Cyndi on 8/09/04 at 12:01 (157256)

Thanks Marty, I will check into that!

Re: cyndi, here's 2 links i have

Marty from SLC on 8/09/04 at 12:56 (157262)

you can go to there and ask questions.

http://www.neuropathy.org/ (there's a option to just sign up and not pay, I think it's at the bottom of the second page after you click to sign up)

Re: opps

Marty from SLC on 8/09/04 at 12:58 (157263)

you can go to these and ask questions.

http://www.neuropathy.org/ (there's a option to just sign up and not pay, I think it's at the bottom of the second page after you click to sign up)

rickb on 8/09/04 at 19:17 (157306)

Cyndi, every so often I suggest an alternate solution to your problem. Do a search at this forum and on the general web for Dr. Sarno's books. Basically, Dr. Sarno suggests that most chronic pain is psychosomatic. His book on back pain was writen first and easier to read. As you noted, there appears to be nothing wrong. I had a bad back for 20 years and then developed arch pain. I have been pain free since February 2003. There was a guy named Carlos at this forum that is completely cured of PF after taking Dr. Sarno's advice. Good luck!

Julie on 8/10/04 at 02:21 (157350)

Cyndi, you say 'my shoes are so tight they hurt, even the socks hurt now'. Have you considered getting different shoes? I don't know your age, but are you aware that feet change size as you grow older? Mine are now two sizes bigger than they were 30 years ago.

It's vital to get fitted properly and base future shoe purchases on the size your feet really are and not the size they were and that you think they still are. Please try this: you may get a surprise, but you need to wear shoes that fit you.

Size is just one factor. Improper footgear causes all sorts of problems. I don't know what type of shoes you wear, but anyone with foot problems needs well-made, well-fitting shoes, with plenty of support and lots of in the toebox (the exact opposite of most women's shoes). Do a search on this website for shoes that people here have found helpful. Birkenstocks, New Balance, Brooks are all good; I like North Face Targas myself.

Re: Re:PS

Julie on 8/10/04 at 02:26 (157351)

I've just re-read your post and see that you're wearing New Balance 925 shoes. New Balance are a good shoe, but they don't suit everyone. I have a pair sitting at the back of my closet that I've never worn and cannot wear because they are too narrow and don't have sufficient room in the toe box.
They may not suit your feet either, and may be contributing to your problems - especially if they're also the wrong size.

Look carefully into the matter of footgear. It can make a very big difference. Also, have your orthotics checked out. Your arch pain suggests that they may need adjustment.

Cyndi on 8/10/04 at 20:04 (157459)

Thanks Julie and Richb

I did have my 925 New balance fitted at a New Balance store and I had not even seen a steel foot measurer since childhood. They did fit me one size larger than I usually wear. I was wearing Dr Scholls shoes at the time of first problem and changed to Merrill slip on's with Padded Cool Smart socks from a hiking store. The POD suggested I change to New Balance for the tie up feature and more support. I also wear around the house and to get up at night a sandell slip on with a small heel suggested by my regular Dr. She said that would stretch the planter before I got my insoles. I never go barefoot and do use a rolled up handtowel to stand on in the shower. Rich, I will read your suggestion as I did Marty's because that is why I keep coming back here., but, I really do not think this is in my 'head' as I loved my job and we really need the money I made to make ends meet. Being an invalid is the pits!

rickb on 8/11/04 at 00:10 (157474)

Most people that I discuss this with give me similar comments that there is nothing wrong with them mentally. They are correct, they are pretty normal, successful people. You will do an injustice to yourself if you don't at least read one of his books, very slowly, and with an open mind. They are very inexpensive, easy to read and very down to earth. The whole thing is nothing but common sense.

Julie on 8/11/04 at 01:38 (157478)

Cyndi, that's good that you were properly fitted and that the shoes you were sold are for the foot size you actually are. However, you say it was at a New Balance store, so I still think you should do more research and exerimentation regarding footgear. New Balance tend to be on the narrow side, or at least some of their styles are, and the ones you have may not be the right shoes for your feet. The pair I bought (the 823s) certainly weren't right for mine: too narrow all through, especially in the toebox where they are also too low. I bought them because they were recommended by my podiatrist as a good shoe for PF, but I have never been able to wear them: they're too tight. That is what you said about your NBs, so I suspect you need to look further.

It took me a while to find shoes that are absolutely right for me feet, but I did, and they helped enormously. I am not saying that the right shoes are going to be your 'cure' - but if you find them they will make a difference.

Don't dismiss Rick's suggestion. When looking for help with any physical ailment, it's useful to keep an open mind to the emotional and mental influences that may be contributing to it. The body isn't a separate entity: body, mind, emotions and spirit are a whole, and whatever happens on one level affects the others.

rickb on 8/11/04 at 21:39 (157629)

Good comments Julie. It is from my own personal experience, extensive reading and observing other people with some sort of chronic pain, emotions are not a contributer to chronic pain, they are usually 100% of the cause. Dr. Sarno's first book deals mostly with back pain, but I feel does the best job communicating the concept that applies to most chronic pain. I am always frustrated that I do a poor job convincing people to follow his advice. The only risk is about $15 to buy a book. The payoff is that your pain could be gone in weeks and the incredible feeling that nothing is actually wrong with you. Good luck.

Re: Rick

Julie on 8/12/04 at 06:03 (157649)

Hi Rick

I'm getting a distinct sense of deja vu - we've been here before, haven't we? As a teacher of an ancient art/science (yoga) that is rooted in the interconnection and integration of body, mind, emotions and spirit, I know that what happens on any of these levels affects the others. So I know that pain has an emotional component, and believe that anybody who is in pain does well to consider the mind-emotions-body connection, if for no other reason than that dealing with the emotions helps one to deal with the pain. Sometimes, too, insights will arise in the space created by the cessation or lessening of pain, and this space can be accessed through meditation and relaxation.
But truly, Rick, the emotional component is not usually 100% of the cause. Saying that it is is no more accurate than saying that the cause of a physical problem is always and only to be found in the body. It is also harder for people to accept, influenced as most people are by the Western medical model, so when you say that it is, you get a predictable negative response: the person rejects the idea, and you are disappointed and frustrated. I am always sorry to see that happen, because I know that you want to help, but mainly because it means the person's attitude has hardened, making it less likely that he or she will seek the insight on the mental and emotional levels that could help them.

It is also dangerous. I say this out of my experience of cancer 11 years ago. When I was diagnosed, I was advised by well-meaning people, including more than one practitioner of a complementary therapy, to 'look at what I had done to cause it'. Of course I knew that I had to look at the emotional/historical aspects of my situation, and I did; but to say something like this to someone who is ill is to lay a guilt trip on them that can lead to self-blame and depression. It's called blaming the victim, and it's counter-productive: it makes it more difficult to take charge and deal with the illness. I'm not saying you are doing that, I know that you mean well and want to help - but it can be taken that way.

Another point: people who believe that their physical illnesses are caused entirely by their emotions are sometimes discouraged from seeking or accepting help from mainstream medicine - or they delay until it is too late. Now that really IS dangerous.

There needs to be a balance. We all, including (perhaps especially) doctors, need to view human life as a complex, holistic web of interconnecting influences: not just the body, not just the mind, not just the emotions, but an amalgam of all of these. And we need to be open to the entire spectrum of help and healing. Focusing exclusively on one aspect, whether it be the body or the emotions, is necessarily limiting.

I know how convinced you are by the approach put forward by Dr Sarno, and that you aren't likely to agree with me, but I hope you are not offended by anything I've said. I did feel it was important to make the case for balance.

john h on 8/12/04 at 10:56 (157682)

Well put Julie. Few things are either black or white. Most are shades of grey. I think that your emotions can and do create pain and most probably disease in some cases. Certainly type A personalities pump more adrenlen into their bodies than a Buddahist Monk making them more subject to various diseases. Some eastern cultures have been able to harness their emotions to some degree to relieve pain if not the disease itself. A broken bone cannot be willed away by the mind. Our problems are often trying to find out what problem may have an emotional component and what problem may be beyond alternative medicine. We seem to have a problem on this board when someone becomes very dogmatic about a particualr treatment. Their intentions are good but often counter productive because of the way they are presented.

Cyndi on 8/12/04 at 13:57 (157695)

I finally found this book at Amazon.com and will order after I try one more local bookstore. Thanks for the insight. I am certainly not afraid to find an alternate answer if it works, I will try anything to get back walking again. Thanks again for all of your discussions.

rickb on 8/12/04 at 21:00 (157726)

Julie, I am not a bit offended. Further, if you read the book, the first thing you do is verify with a qualified doctor that nothing is wrong with you. I fully agree that there is a balance between good medicine, mental health, excersize, diet, etc.

However, as you can see from many of the discussions, people are frustrated because they are not getting better and there is no obvious physical problem. After going through 20 years of chronic pain, and having tried everything possible, I got lucky because I decided to completely trust Dr. Sarno. I actually new about this book for a year before ordering it because I thought the concept was silly. There is not much risk in reading a book. It really is nothing more than good old common sense. You just need to be willing to look at your emotions and personality from an objective point of view. It really is interesting reading.

I share this advice because if completely resolved my pain. I have lived an active life for the last 17 months. Good luck, I hope you take my advice and read a good book.

kelsey r on 4/04/05 at 13:26 (172565)

i have a question adresing adrenlen, do you konw the nerolodigial path it travels in our bodies? what type of treatment makes pain special? if adrenlen couldbe injected into a persons veins, would they be more sickly then aperson with normal adrenal glands?