Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Survey

Posted by Kara S. on 8/08/04 at 11:59 (157197)

Just trying to find some common denominator.
How many of you prior to 'acquiring' TTS or PN (say 1 to 2 years or so) changed your activity habits, perhaps taking a desk job as opposed to being on your feet moreso before; or were active in sports and other activities, but then, for some reason, discontinued that activity and became less active by your own decision, etc. Did anything in your life change right before TTS or PN became a problem? Describe briefly, if you can.
Thanks for your time on this.

Re: Survey

Eric on 8/08/04 at 12:32 (157199)

YES

Ive stopped playing sports, I dont run anymore either. Im pretty much stagnant now and very miserable.

Jason Pollizzi on 8/08/04 at 15:21 (157210)

I was engaging in a walkiing program for 6 miles 5 times per week and thats when things started to hurt. I developed pf and then cam into tts and have been in pain ever since . Life sucks!!!!!!!!! Crippled at such a young age especially when you have young children 5, 6 years ols and cannot run with them but just watch them from a fucken chair. Why doesny God give these pain problems to the assholes in prison or who are people that are dirtbags to society........I was a good guy who wants to work for his family and now i got a bad wheel and am always in pain.

Thanks for listenoing.................

Kara S. on 8/08/04 at 19:04 (157219)

Thanks, Jason, for responding. I certainly understand your anger. We're used to being in control of our lives and all of a sudden we get side-swiped with this! We can take back control of our lives tho, by doing our own research into possible causes and solutions and then following each lead as far as we can. Thankfully the internet provides excellent, up-to-date information to get us started and these message boards provide a lot of trial and error suggestions. We have to be our own advocates and do our own detective work. Your children will understand if you can't run with them right now, just don't shut them out of your heart by being angry. They still need a daddy. Best to you.

Terri on 8/08/04 at 20:30 (157225)

Kara, that is such a great and heartfelt response to Jason. Yes, we've all been where he is right now, angry and wanting to know 'why me??'. My mother always had a piece of wisdom that is so true. She told me to just look around; you'll find someone worse off than you are.

Some positive things to think about:
We have the use of our arms to hug our children
We can speak and let them know every day how much they are loved
We can hear them laugh and tell us all about their adventures
The smell of newly bathed little bodies snuggling onto our laps
Reading their favorite book....over and over and over again
Feeling their arms around our necks and the kisses they give without reserve.

Ok, back to the survey:
Nope, didn't do a single thing different. It just gradually came on, getting worse year after year. Started in my early 20's I'd have to say. Finally got to the point where I couldn't walk more than 15-20 min's at a stretch without resorting to a wheelchair or just parking myself on a bench somewhere while the family continued on without me. (At fairs and such)

Dorothy on 8/09/04 at 00:20 (157235)

Just my thoughts: God doesn't 'give' pain. Pain happens in life.
Pain doesn't happen as punishment. The absence of pain isn't a reward. Pain has nothing to do with good and bad. Therefore, being a 'good guy' or some other kind of person is irrelevant. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people, and vice versa - if you want to use those categories.
How one reacts and responds to whatever happens to one in life is really what matters (it isn't whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game...) and you can do it with some effort at grace and dignity or you can do it cursing and whining. Your children will learn from you, in sickness and in health. What do you want them to learn?
I observed my own mother for most of my teenage years and on into my adulthood and she had constant excruciating, deforming, debilitating pain. She could do nothing for herself as her disease progressed. The most complaint one ever heard from her was very rarely when she might say 'it hurts today' by way of explaining a particular sudden grimace or something. I have never known anyone in the kind of relentless, vicious pain she had - and so many doctors said the same - but she had dignity and grace and that is what we remember about her now. We could just as easily think of her as angry and foul-mouthed, if she had been that way.
We don't have choices in life about what comes our way, but we have choices about how we conduct ourselves.
I'm sorry you have pain just as I am sorry that so many of the posters here have varying degrees of pain - but it is part of the human condition. Few humans go through life without it and some go through life, all of life, with it as a constant companion. Maybe it's time to begin counting your blessings.

Eric on 8/09/04 at 00:36 (157236)

How old are you now Terri? I just have to ask cause im sure this started in my early 20's also. Its just hard to swallow still that me being 29 now and so miserable.

Julie on 8/09/04 at 02:30 (157239)

Jason

Things happen to most people: 'good' things and 'bad' things. We may not have a great deal of control over the things that happen to us, but we do have a choice as to how we respond to them. We can reject them, asking 'Why me?' or we can accept them and learn from them, and ask 'Why not me?' We can look at painful experiences as disasters and be angry about them, or we can look at them as challenges and try to meet them and deal with them. We can see them as setbacks or as opportunities, as obstacles or as stepping-stones to growth and change.

You've had some thought-provoking responses here. I hope you'll think about them. It appears to me that your most important task is teaching your children. They are learning from you, every minute, about how to deal with experiences and how to approach life. As someone else said, what is it that you want them to learn? This is entirely your choice. Are anger, disgruntlement, hatred of 'assholes' and 'dirtbags' really the lessons you want them to absorb from your experience? Wouldn't love, courage, humour, self-respect, acceptance, etc. etc. be more useful to them?

For yourself, there is a lot you can do to get a handle on your situation and start pulling back from the angry despondency you've got yourself into. For a start, you can use some of your time to study this website, especially the heel pain book and the message boards, for a better understanding of what you're dealing with, and insight into how others have dealt and are dealing with it.

As for God, he never promised us that there would be no pain. He gave us life and the freedom to make what we can of life. He gave us intelligence, will, and consciousness, so that we can learn from the experiences life brings us, and grow through them.

Re: Eric

Terri on 8/09/04 at 06:42 (157241)

I'm almost 45 now, Eric, and very content with my life overall. Sure, there are a lot of things I can't do with my grandchildren that other grandmas out there do, but I've learned my limitations a long time ago and have accepted them. Believe me, there are still some days where it really gets to me, especially since I'm single and trying to date. I've been asked out a couple of times recently and when I explained that I can't walk the amusement parks, they'd have to push me or walk beside me in a wheelchair, gee....they don't call back. I wonder if they think I'm faking it or making up excuses not to go out with them because, just to look at me, you don't see anything wrong. Like I've said here before, I can walk around pretty normal for about 15 mins up to 1/2 an hour before the pain hits. Who knows what they think? If they don't want to take the time to get to know me, then it's their loss.

chris on 8/09/04 at 08:15 (157242)

I didn't change a thing. I even coached t-ball wearing a boot cast and limping around.

Yes, there was pain, lots of pain, I don't know maybe I was in denial.

I remember limping around my house, paying my kids to rub my foot at night.

Jason Pollizzi on 8/09/04 at 15:53 (157287)

Thanks everyone for their responses. I was just angry and trying to deal with this , because I cannot do my job. I am truly sory if I offended anyone and your all right I must go on and do the best i can and know my limitations and be happy , because my mommy did also tell me someone has it alot worse than you remeber that!!!!!
Jason (:

Julie on 8/09/04 at 16:39 (157290)

That's the stuff, Jason. Go to it - and the best of luck to you.

You'll find it helpful to participate on these message boards - it's useful to 'talk' to people who are going through what you are going through. And do read the heel pain book - I think you'll find that helpful too.

Dorothy on 8/09/04 at 18:23 (157302)

Julie -
You wrote: 'As for God, he never promised us that there would be no pain. He gave us life and the freedom to make what we can of life. He gave us intelligence, will, and consciousness, so that we can learn from the experiences life brings us, and grow through them.'

To that I say: beautiful.

Terri on 8/09/04 at 20:55 (157326)

Amen!

And Jason, never forget you have the whole world here at your fingertips to listen, encourage, and share with you.

Oh, and listen to Mom...she's almost always right! ;-)

Julie on 8/10/04 at 01:57 (157347)

Thanks, Dorothy.

Mia on 10/01/04 at 06:19 (160809)

Good Morning! I just read the posts and I agree with how you set an example for your kids. My injury was cause by an motorcycle accident. I was rearended by a tractor trailor and then had my left foot ran over. Since then, I've been dealing with broken bones (which have healed) and pain in my foot that is now developed into TTS. I have surgery schedule on Oct. 28th. I do get angry at the driver for hitting me at times....but I keep telling myself it could be much worse and I'm very lucky! Somebody was looking out for me that day!
Anyway, at this point I'm looking forward to having the surgery and moving on with my life. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be back enjoying things with my kids again. But I refuse to have this put me down. And no matter what - I'll be out there with my kids! I might have to make adjustments, but that's what I'll do.
Hope my story has helped!

Mia