Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin for Tarsal Nerve Pain

Posted by Tommy on 8/08/04 at 18:58 (157218)

I have suffered from heel pain for three years. I have had the ESWT, and a year ago a tarsal nerve release with a partial plantar fasciotomy. None gave any relief. I was given 300mg Neurontin to try, and for the first time in three years I am almost totally pain free. This drug works to block pain in damaged nerves. Do you know of any long term health risks with this drug?

Re: Neurontin for Tarsal Nerve Pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/04 at 14:04 (157276)

Neurontin works almost entirely on nerve pain so its success implies that that is what you have. Your dose, 300 mg. per day is very low and if that does the trick, I would not be very concerned. One problem is 'brain fog' but that is more noticeable at higher doses. Also, people tend to get used to its effects and need to get progressively higher doses. That does not always happen so if you can get releif at 300 mg. and stay at that level, then you are doing okay.

Re: Neurontin for Tarsal Nerve Pain

John King on 8/10/04 at 11:55 (157378)

The Veterans Administration prescribes Neurontin for PTSD as well as Neuropathy. The other drug they prescribe is Topiramate. This is actually seizure medication.