Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Best sleeping position..

Posted by Linda V. on 8/09/04 at 20:03 (157318)

being a belly sleeper, i figured it wasn't too good for my PF to continue to sleep with my foot elongated while sleeping (like i was in high pumps)...so now i scoot myself way down low in the bed, and hang my feet off the bottom into the air..toes down...it actually feels wonderful. anyone else try it or have other methods of comfortable sleeping?

Re: Best sleeping position..

Tina H on 8/09/04 at 20:11 (157321)

Hi, I've always had my feet hanging over the edge of the bed(it's the only way I can sleep) and I have terrible pf so I don't think it will be a quick fix, sorry!! However I have tried this, I have a small couch at the foot of my bed and I have tried using that as a psuedo 'night splint' to keep my foot really in that flexed position kind of jammed between bed and couch. I unfortunately have a bad knee which doesn't want to be locked so this doesn't work for me but it might work for other belly sleepers. Good luck, if you discover anything else let me know, I'll try anything! Tina

Linda V. on 8/10/04 at 07:48 (157360)

i also have pretty bad pf..especially on the right foot. i have thought about buying a pair of night splints....but money is getting tight with me unable to work and inserts costing so much. Like you, i would try anything if it guaranteed this horror went away. This web site helps so much. Normal walking people have no idea what we go through.

Tina H on 8/10/04 at 08:34 (157367)

I know, I so sympathize with you. Even when people know you have this condition I'm sure they have no idea how bad it is, even though you're walking with a limp and grimacing with each step you take. Have you tried taping? That seems to help and is inexpensive. I guess I lucked out. My podiatrist only charged me her costs for EWST since my insurance didn't cover it and for some reason she just gave me the night splint and didn't even charge me for it. How nice is that? Although next time I see her I am going to ask her if she just forgot to charge me. I think she orders these things in bulk and gets a good price. She gave me power step inserts to try and only charged me 15$. Good Luck! If it is any consellation, I had bad pf in my left foot 3 years ago (this time it's my R) and I managed to get rid of it after a year with orthotics and ice and knock on wood it's not yet come back in that foot. So I do know it's possible to get over this. Keep the faith! Tina