Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Answer on Exercise, please!

Posted by Dee C on 8/10/04 at 15:58 (157419)

I am comtemplating getting a recumbent exercise bike and need an opinion. Had PF release on one foot and Tailor bunion on the other 9 weeks ago. Would using it hurt my feet? I know there are other forms of exercise but really need to know about the exercycle. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Answer on Exercise, please!

Julie on 8/10/04 at 16:25 (157425)

Dee, haven't you got a nearby gym where you can try out a bike before committing yourself to buying one? Opinions have varied here: some have found that it's all right, some not. Every case is individual, so you really need to decide for yourself, but it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a bike and find you couldnt use it.

Dee C on 8/11/04 at 13:21 (157559)

I live in an area which is not too safe to walk (if I could) around in and I have no trans except when my husband takes me out on weekends. Sounds terrible, but no friends or relatives to help either. We are fairly new to the states. But I will try a bike at a store in town. Good idea. There is a Sports Chalet there at a mall. I was just curious if anyone has used one for post surgery exercise. Thanks for answering me!

Hestia on 8/12/04 at 00:10 (157638)

Dee, I agree with other posters that you might want to try a bike before you buy one. After having PF for about 9 months I joined a gym so I could use their recumbent bike. After 4 weeks of going 3 times a week for 20 minutes at slow rate/easy tension my feet were much worse and I developed tarsal tunnel. This was my experience, you might do fine but just try one out first. Good luck.

Dee C on 8/12/04 at 15:56 (157703)

Thank you so much for your response. I really must try one first.