Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Mark

Posted by Pauline on 8/10/04 at 16:08 (157420)

Have you noticed the stroke of fear that my post about you going public
with your information has emitted? Wow, fear about an actual ESWT price war.

Well its good to know lower prices are available and maybe enough fear about having a dust collector on one's hands will actually drive them lower. Better use than dust is the saying.

Re: To Mark

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/10/04 at 16:40 (157428)

Pauline:
You can only have a price 'war' in a free market which is something we don't have in healthcare (maybe we should). We need to caution patients that in ESWT there are 4 sources of fees:
1)the provider performing the ESWT
2)the company which owns the ESWT machine has a charge for use of it's equipment
3)anesthesiolgy charge if an anesthesiologist is used (usually just with Ossatron).
4)facility fee -- usually encountered if performed at a hospital or surgicenter but not at a doctor's office. Sonorex and Dornier are more likely to be performed at the doctor's office.
Ossatron/Healthtronics has a fine product but since their 'model' involves all 4 charges, it is a bit expensive a model for the current healthcare environment and that is where they ran into resistance.
Insurance contracts set a substantial portion of fees and, as such, the fee is determined by contract. If insurance does not cover ESWT, it is unlikely to cover all 4 potential aspects of the fees. Most providers do not own a machine. Dr. Z is an exception in that he has possession of his own Dornier (I don't know if he owns or leases it but that does not affect the patient) and I have a Sonorex machine.
Ed

Re: To Dr. Ed

Pauline on 8/10/04 at 19:09 (157444)

Then why in the world would you post this as your opening line to Scott R. when according to your last post your fear to 'avoid a price war' is totally unwarranted because there is no free market? It appears my post had you running off to Scott rather quickly for no reason and nothing to fear. New topic needed.

Re: Lost Messages view thread
Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 8/10/04 at 14:57

Scott R:
I think it has to do with fee discussions. I think that it is best to avoid a 'price war' or bidding for services on this board.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/04 at 14:25 (157564)

Pauline:
Because Scott seemed to imply, from his post, that Mark had an ulterior motive for supplying his email. It appeared to me that Mark did so to avoid a controversy and simply wanted to point that out.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/04 at 14:27 (157565)

ps. Patients also need to know HOW to compare fees and that is why I elaborated on all aspects of the fee structure they may encounter -- again, just some education.
Ed