Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to get rid of heel pain immediately !!!!

Posted by Dr. Z on 8/10/04 at 19:06 (157443)

Here is a simple treatment that your doctor can use to stop heel pain immediately. Have your doctor place your foot into a fiberglass foot cast. This is only placed on the foot. The foot cast will stop all weight on the heel and rest the plantar. Wear for two week and remove and treat from there. Very simple. safe and easy to walk with and the pain will stop immediately

Re: How to get rid of heel pain immediately !!!!

Ann M. on 8/10/04 at 22:51 (157469)

I've had a couple of really bad bouts of pf, one that I had taping and cortizone for, and then I heard a doctor on the radio say that you should walk on the heel of the foot that hurts. It looks a little lame, but you get use to it and can even move fairly fast. Both times it went away, and now if I even have a hint of heel pain, which I haven't had in several years, I just start walking on my heel. Heel-walking stretches tendons in the back of the leg and allows the plantar fascia to heal because you're not using it. I've never used orthotics and wouldn't dream of having surgery. Cortizone just masks the pain for a bit. One of the things I did to try not to get pf again is to try walking with my feet pointed straight ahead instead of out to the sides. That also relieves the fascia, and looks better.

Dorothy on 8/10/04 at 23:20 (157470)

Do you mean/did the radio doctor say that you walk ONLY on the heels all the time?? Sorry, I wasn't clear on what you meant, given that you said this allows the fascia to rest.

Has anyone else here tried this??

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/11/04 at 13:15 (157555)

Although I do agree with Dr. Z that immobilizing the foot can often result in immediate relief, I would be hesitant to state that all heel pain can be relieved immediately (temporarilty) with a fiberglass foot cast. I wish it was that easy! Dr. Ed, what are your thoughts?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/04 at 14:35 (157566)

Dr. W:
I have posted before that I am not fond of CAM walkers (removable casts) for PF as they are too flat. The thing I try to do with a fiberglass cast is to invert the rearfoot and evert the forefoot (to a greater degree than with an orthotic) in order to minimize plantar fascial tension. I cannot say that this works all the time but maybe better than 85% of the time. This is one of those things that the practitioner must do himself as opposed to having a cast tech use a standard cast as the positioning in the cast is the key. My dilemna is often that I have a patient who cannot return to work with the cast in place. If someone comes in, in extreme pain, cannot work, I may inject the fascia and then do the 'manipulated' cast for a couple weeks just to calm things down enough to be able to move forward with 'conventional' treatments.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/04 at 14:36 (157568)

Dorothy:
Yes. See my response to Dr. Wander. It can be quick way to calm things down although not a permanent cure.
Ed

Dorothy on 8/11/04 at 14:50 (157573)

Dr. Ed ~
I think there was a confusion of threads here. Dr. Z, Dr. Wander and you appear to be writing about a cast.
The other poster - 'Ann M.' - was writing about walking on her heels.
It was HER post that I inquired about, not the posts about casts.

Were you responding about her post (walking on one's heels) or about the posts from Dr. Z and Dr. Wander?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/04 at 21:57 (157631)

Dorothy:
I was responding to the thread concerning how well casts work to calm down PF.
Ed

Ann M. on 8/12/04 at 21:15 (157728)

Yes, Dorothy, just walk on the heel of the foot that hurts. It's a bit counterintuitive because the pain is in the heel, but by not rolling up to the ball of the foot, the plantar fascia does not get used, plus the tendons at the back of the leg are stretched. I don't work so I didn't have to be out a lot, other than shopping, etc., so I found it very easy to do. It truly cured two very bad bouts of pf on right and left foot, one lasting a year and a half. Now I'm very sensitive to heel pain and head it off at the first sign. I don't remember how long it took to heal, but it does take a while. However, it was well worth it to get rid of the debilitating pain of pf.