Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF

Posted by christyw on 8/11/04 at 23:56 (157637)

I was wondering if anyone can share their story with me about having a EPF done. I have decided to have it done and I go in for surgery on Tuesday. They are going to do my left foot first and then a week later my right. I was told that I would be in a cast for 2 weeks then a walking boot for 2 weeks and then in my shoes. I would just like to know if anyone can tell me from expierience what that was like. Can you walk or get out of bed?
Please fill me in on anything else you feel is important.

Thanks alot,
Christy

Re: EPF

Pauline on 8/12/04 at 09:20 (157664)

Christy,
I'm not a doctor just a former P.F. sufferer and I've not had any P.F. surgery, but I would seriously ask you to please consider postponing the second surgery until you see how the first one goes and you are well on your way to walking on that foot without pain.

Please, Please, take time to read this surgery board. Go back and read posts from people who have had EPF releases. There are many who post that they are still in great pain months after their surgeries.

There is NO snip and go surgeries not even EPF, and complications are a reality with any surgery so why rush to get both feet done within a week of each other. Remember you're the one that will be in casts and boots and pain not your doctor.

I'd like to see you happy with your results and walking before having the same procedure done on your other foot just a week later and I think many people here will agree with me.

Remember the tortoise and the hare? Take your time, finish the race and see the results before offering your other foot up for surgery.

My Medical Disclaimer,
I am not a doctor, just a former P.F. sufferer. The above post is simply my prospective on P.F. surgery and its results. Care should be taken and research done prior to any surgical procedure, however, the ultimate decision to have surgery rests with the patient and their doctor.

Julie on 8/12/04 at 09:43 (157667)

Christy, I am not a doctor, but I have listened to what the doctors who post here have said, many times: when you cut the plantar fascia you are weakening the main supporting structure of the foot. If you have this surgery, your foot will need compensatory support afterwards: probably custom orthotics, and sturdy footgear. As Pauline says, it isn't snip and go: foot surgery is very serious and should be undertaken only after ALL conservative treatments have been tried and have failed. Surgery can be successful - but if it isn't, you may be left dealing with problems worse than the ones you already have.

Please do your research. Past posts on this forum will tell you a great deal. And if you do go ahead with the first surgery, please do, as Pauline has advised, put the second one off until you are fully healed. That can take up to a year.

april l on 8/12/04 at 10:40 (157676)

I am one of the ones who had EPF surgery that was successful. However, recovery can take a long time, up to a year or even more. I had my right foot done 7 yrs. ago without the benefit of hearing the reality of what it is like from reading this board, and I had a doctor who said it would basically be a snip and go. Like the others have said, it is not that easy. I thought it was a huge mistake because I was still in pain, sometimes worse than before the EPF. Eventually things got better but it was a very gradual process. I had surgery on my left foot a year ago. My experience is that right after the procedure, I felt just fine. That part was the easy part for me. On the third day I was walking around and the heel pain that I was used to was gone. But soon after that I began experiencing different pains. I went to physical therapy, and had ultrasound, stimulation, deep massage of the plantar fascia, and stretching exercises. I strongly recommend physical therapy. Throughout the year I have had ups and downs. I feel I made the right choice for me, but I am aware that it doesn't always turn out the same for everyone.

christyw on 8/12/04 at 12:00 (157691)

Thanks to everyone for all their advice and stories. I will keep you posted. As for the surgery I do not think that I will have my feet done so close together.

Shell D. on 8/12/04 at 21:34 (157730)

I wish I would have read this message board before I had EPF done. I've learned WAY more on these boards than I ever could have at my dr's office. (And I would recommend delaying the surgery too!)

john h on 8/13/04 at 11:01 (157749)

I think any Doctor who would perform a double release on both feet at the same time to be irresponsible. By all means see how the first one goes. I had a Doctor who wanted to perform a release on both feet and perform an artificial joint replacement on both great toes all at the same time. He further stated I would be back to running in a month. Turns out artifical joints in the great toe do not last very long and I did not need one anyway. I had a simple procedure called a cheilectomy on the toe and it was cured. There are Doctors and their are Doctors out there. I think most Doctors would not even suggest surgery until a year or more had passed with conservative care.