Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bowling

Posted by Denise in Illinois on 8/12/04 at 07:11 (157652)

Just wondering if bowling will be a problem with my PF. My bowling league starts at the end of this month. When I release the ball I'm putting my weight on my injured foot.

Thanks for your help.

Denise

Re: Bowling

Pauline on 8/12/04 at 08:41 (157657)

Denise,
The only thing I think you can do is try it. I'm not a doctor, but did experience extra pain and pressure trying to bowl when I had P.F. You are correct because all your weight transfers to the foot that is sliding.

I tried it and decided it wasn't worth taking the risk because at that time my P.F. was on the way out.

My medical disclaimer:
I am not a doctor, anyone who thinks they may have P.F. should be examinined by their physician. Participation in any sport or exercise program should be discussed with your physician prior to doing them.

Denise in Illinois on 8/12/04 at 21:18 (157729)

Thanks, Pauline. I think I will give it a try next week, before my bowling league starts. If it causes any pain, I'll just have to get someone else to take my place.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/13/04 at 14:30 (157763)

Denise:
Your 'lead' foot, that is the foot that is going forward will have pressure shifted toward the front (ball or metatarsal area) when bowling.
Need to check for adequate ankle flexibility on that side and work on stretching if not adequate. If you are an orthotic wearer, do your orthotics fit in your bowling shoes? If not, consider one of the taping techniques on this site; applying the tape before each bowling session to limit strain on the plantar fascia. If you do have orthotics that can fit in your bowling shoes the orthotics need to be effectively pronating the midtarsal joint (turning the big toe joint toward the floor) to limits tension on the fascia as your body moves forward over the 'lead' foot.
Ed

Lori S. on 8/14/04 at 02:02 (157811)

I know I read somewhere on these boards that a poster asked to wear his/her shoes due to pf..... and the bowling alley allowed this. Dont know if that helps, but I do remember reading it here.
take care.....
Lorinda

Denise in Illinois on 8/14/04 at 12:23 (157847)

Thanks so much for all your help. I think for now, I'm going to take a pass on this season's league. My foot is beginning to feel a little better (it's been several months since I've had this). I think I'll give it more time to heal.

Denise