Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tailor's bunnion

Posted by billf on 8/12/04 at 09:18 (157663)

I am about to have surgery fo a tailor's bunnion. My doctor says two weeks and I'll be able to walk a little, light duty at work. Is this realistic?

Re: tailor's bunnion

Pauline on 8/12/04 at 10:28 (157674)

I'm not a doctor, but sometimes what the doctor says and what really takes place are two different things. Here are a couple of posts from the surgery board on this site. Take some time to read the entries you'll not only learn a great deal, but will gain new respect for your feet and what they go through on a daily basis when we walk.

I'd also suggest that you find out from your doctor exactly what procedures are planned to repair your bunion. There are different repairs some more involved than others. Ask all your questions ahead of time and be comfortable with your selected doctor and his treatment. Know before you go.

For the sake of space I've only posted two. There are many more entries
and you can do a search on Pub. Med for Medical Journal Articles.
Best of luck.

Tailor's Bunionectomy and PF Release View Thread
Posted by Dee C on 7/23/04 at 13:57

It has been since May 28th, and still hurts and is swollen. Have tried all types of shoes but the bump still sticks out. Just tissue I was told; but how long does it take for the swelling to go down generally? Should I tape it or wrap it or bandaid it? Would really appreciate an opinion. Had PF release surgery on other foot same day. That still hurts too, of course, if I am on it too much. Am I being too impatient or what?

Message Number 156069

Re: bunnion surgery View Thread
Posted by Tonya on 7/18/04 at 16:51

I too have had bunion surgery and it is hell. My left foot was first and I had to keep an ice pack on my foot for at least 23 days everyday and I still have to put an ice pack on it at night even now, three months later. I have had my right foot operated on 18 days ago. I thought the doctor would make my feet match but he didn't. The scars are different and the toes are leaning in different directions. I am totally crippled. He used a screw in my left foot that was too big and I can still feel it. I think I will have to have that foot operated on again. I limp and walk on the outside of both my feet. I mostly stay in bed and eat all day. I can't go anywhere because I can't dress up and look good because I can't wear any shoes not even my boot. They gave me one size boot for my left foot and a different size (too small) for my right foot. If I had to do it again I would not do it at this time. I have kept a journal since the very beginning. As it is now, I have taken 10/20 Hydrocodone about 90 of them and tomorrow I will be going to get another refill for 40 more, but this time he made it for 7.5 a lower strength. My doctor lied to me and said that I could be back at work in three days but it's been months and I am still not able to work. I have to elevate my feet at all times because of the swelling. Both my feet at the end of the day and during the day have fever in them. If I were to do this again, which I don't think I would. I would want to see pictures and I would want to do only one foot a year. Not one right behind the other. Now I am worried that I will be permanently crippled. My mom had to take me grocery shopping in a wheelchair yesterday and I ran in to my friends and I was so embarrassed. Yes, I agree that you do need some counseling before getting this surgery done. I can't believe the Web sites that doctors promote that say this is a cake walk. Hell, you'll be lucky to walk at all. Now I know why my doctor will not look me in the eye. He lied to me to get me to let him make money off of me, and now it's done, and he can't stand looking at me with all my pain. Live and learn or read this!

Dr. Z on 8/12/04 at 11:41 (157688)

This is a deformity on the outside of your foot. What kind of work do you do? Most procedures for this deformity involved the cutting of the metatarsal bone to re-align the joint. Generally speaking if you have a sitting job then you should be ok. Any long standing, lifting, bending is not good.
Pauline has given good advice find out exactly what specific surgery is involved with your boney deformity

Dee C on 8/12/04 at 16:05 (157704)

Finally, someone writes about Tailor's Bunion. I had it May 28; and it still is painful on the top part(incision area). Also, still sticking out. Dr. says it is just tissue, but wish it would go down so I could wear other types of shoes. Keep off your feet at first a lot, or keep it up. Your Dr. is right. Let me know how you progress. Good luck.

Re: To our doctors: tailor's bunnion

Pauline on 8/12/04 at 16:09 (157705)

Can someone explain how the word 'tailor's' became associated with bunion?
Was a tailor the first to have one or a doctor named tailor the first to identify and treat one or nether?

Julie on 8/12/04 at 16:18 (157706)

Pauline, I think it's because tailors sit (or sat) cross-legged on the floor. That would lead to deformities on the outside of the feet.

Dr. Z on 8/12/04 at 16:36 (157707)

With a tailor's bunion it is very important to re-align the joint and not just remove the slight enlargement.
Yes the word comes form the tailor occupation.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/13/04 at 18:58 (157791)

One must invoke the old stereotype of a tailor sitting cross legged, sewing and resting his feet on the outside of the feet (on the 5th metatarsal). Chronic irritation to the side of the foot at the 5th metatarsal presumably causes a 'bunion' to occur there.

Pauline on 8/13/04 at 20:51 (157797)

Well they couldn't have been Italian tailors. They were smart enough to sit at tables:*