Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help Explain this...

Posted by Kitty on 8/12/04 at 18:01 (157713)

Why do I feel relief from the tingling when I am standing. My foot is still a little sore. I think antiinflamatory has helped. But the tingling INCREASES when I am off my feet. At any time of the day!!!! Help clear this up.

Re: Help Explain this...

Terri on 8/12/04 at 19:36 (157721)

Nerves are funny things, Kitty. We all have the same basic underlying problem of PAIN! but then we have some symptoms that are unique to us alone.

It could be you don't feel the tingling because the act of standing on your feet masks the tingling by introducing another feeling, i.e., pressure. Once the pressure is removed you feel what's been there all along.

My un-scientific opinion.....

Kitty on 8/12/04 at 20:16 (157722)

So true...never thought of that. I have been icing the inside of my ankles this evening and trying to stay off my feet. It seems to take the tingle out of my feet. But only until the cold wears off. I will continue to ice. Out of curiousity....does anyone know of anyone who has nursed their way back to health and the 'syndrome' disappears???

LARA on 8/13/04 at 11:09 (157751)

I know someone who claims acupuncture cured her Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I'm currently seeing a acupuncturist for something else and when that's resolved we're going to try acupuncture for my feet. Other than that, the only thing I've ever heard cured TTS is surgery, and it's not a guarantee. That doesn't mean some people haven't learned to live a nice life through various management techniques.

marie on 8/13/04 at 19:25 (157795)

Lara...that is so true. When the doc told me it would be years before I would have any type of recovery....I said 'I don't have years.' Well unfortunately my feet had other ideas. It took me two years and a huge committment to just get back to doing a few things I enjoy, like gardening. Of course my feet didn't keep me from that. I dragged myself around the back yard to create my fern and moss garden. It's enclosed so no one would have to watch me pull myself along on the ground. I adapted and eventually I won. I can't do everything but I can ride my bike now and that in itself is a blessing. So Kitty my best advice for you is not to give up your passions, instead adapt so that you can heal and still have some quality of life. The tingling takes along time to go away. Massage really helped me!!! That tingling drives ya' nuts!

I watched a special tonight about a young man who lost both his arms in an explosion while serving in Iraq. His legs were also badly damaged and he's been undergoing all kinds of physical therapy. his attitude was so amazing...He didn't look to the past and just said my life isn't over and I'll adapt and continue. I should also note that after he lost his arms in the explosion he remained calm enough to continue to give orders and lead his men under heavy fire. He made radio contact with head quarters while he instructed the guys to tie turnakits (sp?) on his arms. Amazing.

have a nice weekend all! marie

Eric on 8/14/04 at 02:38 (157813)

When im standing I feel the increased pressure, burning, like im walking on my bones, various other types of pains and the tingling and itching.

When I rest yeah the pressure goes away slowly and the rest of the other pains go aways eventually. But the tingling and itching does increase at rest. That is a basic sign of nerve cells being interrupted/compromised, the 'tingling n itching.'

Its most likely due to the the pain and other feeling that masks it, then at rest the pains disapate and the only remaining symptoms is the tingling and itching.

Johnn on 8/14/04 at 07:47 (157820)

Hi Lara, and glad to hear about your acpuncture. I have been going (monday will be my 4th visit) for TTS.it seems to be working, slowly. let us know how you are making out with yours.

Re: acupuncture

LARA on 8/15/04 at 14:35 (157990)

Hmmm. Good to know. Maybe if the acupuncture doesn't work at first I'll see if somehow, without violating people's privacy, we can get my doctor to talk to your doctor about what he or she did. HOwever, given how unexpectedly good the treatment has been for my neck (even more quickly than the doctor expected), I'm optimstic. What part of your body did your doctor work on. My doctor said he was going to start by avoiding my feet as it's more painful that way. What is your doctor doing?