Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr visit yesterday

Posted by Terri on 8/14/04 at 08:50 (157824)

Just me again....a potential 'old-timer' as Marie is calling me now. :-)

Saw the dr and we discussed the use of hyaluronidase (this is sad, I didn't even have to look up the spelling of it!)to break down scar tissue and he's looking into it for me. Meanwhile, we went with an injection of dexamethazone to see what that might do. Who has had this before, and has it helped you at all? I'm getting it to see if it will help alleviate the pain that developed with the scar tissue build-up after my surgery in Jan this year.

There's a possibility the insurance company won't cover the hyaluronidase since it now has to be made to order, that's one reason we both decided to try the dex first. If it doesn't work, it may be one more arrow in the quiver to shoot at the ins. co. to get them to pay for the hy.

(Excuse my abbreviations, too many big words here)

Foot's a little sore today from the injection but it should subside in a day or two. If it does any good, or at least if I feel no worse, he wants to repeat in 2 weeks. He added a little numbing agent to it but unfortunately that wore off quickly. Have to do some shopping today for my son's 25th b.d. and I'll be taking a crutch along just to get in and out of the store, and use the scooters in the store. I don't mind those things too much, just hate the loud beep when you go in reverse. It's like waving a flag saying 'Look at me in this embarrassing scooter!'. I've actually gone all the way around an aisle just to get back to where I needed to go so I wouldn't have to hear that. Now that is sad! LOL Oh well, gotta laugh at ourselves sometimes.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Re: Dr visit yesterday

Darlene on 8/14/04 at 11:05 (157837)

Here's my 2 cents. As far as cortisone goes, the dex is a good choice (you are a better speller than me). Dr. Dellon told me that it is water soluble and does not damage nerves. It was used on me for a different purpose - to try to shrink down neuromas.

The doctors could correct me if I am wrong, but there is a downside to cortisone injections in that it breaks down good tissue too. Am I right? I haven't heard of any downside to the hy injections.

Did you have tt surgery? Sorry if I'm asking you to repeat yourself, but if so did they find the reason for your tts and is the nerve pain or numbness better?

Terri on 8/14/04 at 11:52 (157843)

My dr told me that of all the corisone's out there, he feels better using the dex and that it can be repeated and tolerated better than some others. I don't know about the breakdown of healthy tissue, I would assume anytime you inject a foreign substance that there is the possibility of be side effects. Would like to hear from others here if they have any experience with this.

Yes, had TTS surgery done on the right foot only Jan 2nd this year. That's where I had the injection done. Nerve pain is worse now due to the amount of scar tissue, tendonitis developed, and my dr says the 1st dr didn't do a complete release. (See my post to Marty in SLC below) Basically, I jumped into surgery without exploring all my options out there and am now paying for it. But, that's just my experience, and had a crappy dr to boot!

Whew, having a hard time typing here, on my 2nd Vicodan since 7:00 this morning. The injection site is really hurting, back on my crutches today.

The reason for my TTS is due to very little protection around the TT area and I've always been very active. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I was born, I was extremely pigeon-toed and had to wear braces for 1 1/2 years.

Let me know how you're doing.

Re: One Botched Surgery Already

Darlene on 8/14/04 at 12:17 (157845)

I had surgery in January for morton's neuroma. It was supposed to release the ligament. Subsequent doctors have concluded that not only was the pressure not relieved, but the nerve was nicked and another nerve was damaged in the process. So since January my gait has been off. This has caused an accessory muscle in my tarsal tunnel to enlarge, putting pressure on my posterior tibial nerve. The enlarged muscle actually shows in my mri. I have classic tts symptoms,(pins and needles, numbness in big toe, inner ankle pain etc.) but it hasn't been as bad as it would probably be because I am doing very little weight bearing. However, I can't go on like this. I went to see Dr. Dellon last week and he did the cortisone injection in the hope that it might relieve the other nerve pain and improve my gait. I'm going to see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

This message board is great. If I had known about it before my surgery, I wouldn't have done it. There are too many docs out there all too willing to do surgery.

Take care,

Ann L on 8/14/04 at 14:46 (157860)

Yes, there is a possibility of damaging healthy tissue when getting cortisone injections. I don't know if there is a difference between the different types of meds - if some are safer, but my surgeon stated he would only use cortisone post surgery to break down scar tissue, not pre surgery because of the risk of damaging healthy tissue. Different doctors feel the benefits outweigh the risks or vice versa.

Re: One Botched Surgery Already

Terri on 8/15/04 at 14:06 (157985)

Sorry to hear of your experience, Darlene. I certainly hope Dr. Dellon can provide some relief for you.

I'm doing better today. The injection site feels much better, no pain meds so far today, just feels very stiff. Gonna try some calf stretches later and see how that goes. I haven't exercised in 2 days now and getting antsy!