Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calf stretches when you can't bend your ankle?

Posted by Louise on 8/14/04 at 11:47 (157841)

I have plantar fascia in both feet, very flat feet and now, inflammation of the tendons on the front inside of the ankle. I have fibromyalgia (for many years), and was recently changed from Vioxx to Mobic to see if that would help - not sure yet.

I have been told by several doctors that I need to stretch my calf - and I try to do it. However, I can't find a way to stretch the calf which doesn't involve creating a serious bend at the ankle - this irritates the tendons.....

I just got shots into these tendons (one on each foot) and I don't know how to stretch my calves without bending the ankle right where it is most inflamed. I usually lean against the wall or a table with one foot back, locked and stretching, and the other foot forward. I own a ProStretch.

Is there a way to stretch the calf without bending the ankle?

Re: calf stretches when you can't bend your ankle?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/04 at 15:07 (157864)

I am a bit uncertain about what you mean by not bending the ankle. The ankle must be able to allow the foot to bend upwards by a sufficient amount to allow natural walking. If some type of restriction is present, it may need to be addressed. The type of stretch that is most helpful is a prolonged, low intensity stretch and that is what a night splint provides so that may be an option. Many of us are not fans of the weight bearing 'runners' stretch in which one leans against the wall for PF.

Consider that a restriction in ones ability to bend the ankle up (foot toward the leg) leads to increased strain on the plantar fascia so any such restriction must be looked at and mitigated if possible.

Re: calf stretches when you can't bend your ankle?

Julie on 8/14/04 at 17:27 (157884)

Louise, if you click on the word yoga, you will be taken to a series of simple, non-weight bearing yoga exercises for the feet. I think you will find them helpful in increasing your present range of movement in your ankles, and in stretching your calf muscles.

I would advise you not to do the wall stretch: it is too strong for you.