Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Survey Finds Orthopedic Residencies lacking in Foot-Ankle Care

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/04 at 19:45 (157895)

From a recent article in APMA News:

'An article published in the July 2003 issue of 'Foot and Ankle International,' the clinical journal of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society, reveals that foot and ankle residency training among orthopaedic residents is 'vague' and does not 'require experience or proficiency in this discipline.''

'Lead author of the article, Michael S. Pinzur, MD, of the Department of Orhtopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation at Loyola University Medical Center, utilized a survery form sent to the chairs of 148 accredited residency programs in orthopedic surgery in the United States. The response rate was 100%.'

'Results showed that 80 programs (54.1 percent) had just one faculty member, while 21 programs (14.2 percent) had no faculty member with a dedicated interest in foot and ankle orthopedics. Fifteen programs (10.1%) did not have a committed faculty member, nor did their residents have a clinical rotation dedicated to foot and ankle care.'

'Ninety-six percent of the programs had a dedicated clinical foot and ankle experience, while 33 assigned their residents to clinical foot and ankle rotations at multiple times during their training. Overall, the total duration of their foot and ankle clinical training ranged from as little as 6 weeks, to as much as 24 weeks, out of a possible 260 weeks of residency training.'

'The authors state the survery results show the disparity of commitment to foot and ankle orthopodaedics in American graduate medical education in orthopaedic surgery. The article concludes by stating, 'While most programs are in compliance with the guidlines published by the Accreditation Council for Graduate medical Education, many programs offer virtually no exposure to this important discipline.''

'In stark contrast is the training of podiatrists,' said APMA President LLoyd S. Smith, DPM. 'Our students currently recieve six to seven years of formalized training in the foot, ankle and related structures during their educational experiences. Their initial years are of a general nature quite similar to medical school students. Many of those classes are now held jointly at helath science centers where the medical and podiatry students are integrated into the same classrooms.''

'During the second and third years, the future podiatrists begin to focus on the lower extremity issues. Ultimately the fourth year in school and the subsequent years as a resident allow the podiatrist to recieve vastly more training nad experience in lower extremity pathology than any other health care professional in the United States.'

Ed Davis, DPM

Re: Survey Finds Orthopedic Residencies lacking in Foot-Ankle Care

Pauline on 8/14/04 at 20:05 (157896)

Dr. Ed,
Your behind the times. Go back and do a search and you'll find that Dr.
Z posted this article and I posted a response from Dr.Pinzur.

He left either his email address or a phone number so that anyone wishing to contact him could do so.

I honestly thought when Dr. Wander posted his remarks on the training of both Orthopedic Surgeons and Podiatrist that it would finally put this argurment to rest, on this site.

Maybe Dr. Wander would be kind enough to post his statement again for your benefit regarding the training afforded Podiatrist and Orthopedic Surgeons or you should actually call Dr. Pinzur and discuss his training compared to yours.

Dr. Z on 8/14/04 at 20:12 (157897)

Pauline,

I was waiting for your post again on this one. I can't remember where I saw this the first time but it must have been online and then finally printed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/04 at 22:51 (157920)

It just came out in the July/Aug 2004 APMA Journal but the article referenced is a year old and I did not look for prior comments.
Ed