Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

trouble after neuroma surgery

Posted by Ashley on 8/14/04 at 21:47 (157913)

Hi, last summer I had a neuroma removed from my left foot. Well, after the surgery it was always a little tender and sore at times. Now it is much more often. I have horrible pain in the ball of my foot, sometimes a burning feeling. There is also a knot about the size of a small grape in the bottom of my foot, which my foot doctor says is scar tissue. He has given my 2 cortisone injections, custom made orthotics, and taped my foot. Nothing has helped. Some days there is very little pain, and then some days I can't even walk on it. My foot doctor says it's probably just scar tissue and it eventually will go away. I, on the other hand, think it's scar tissue plus a stump neuroma, since the symptoms are just like before surgery. Please, any opinions!!!! Ashley

Re: trouble after neuroma surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/04 at 23:07 (157923)

Ashley:
It can be just scar tisssue or scar tissue plus a stump neuroma. A year is a long time to wait for it to 'go away.' The scar tissue can be shrunk by injecting it with hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down scar tissue) and triamcinolone acetonide (a long term teroid that atrophies scar tissue).
Ed