Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C. ...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 8/15/04 at 07:21 (157942)

Hi, Carole! I have missed reading about your home, your banana trees, and your adventures in New Orleans. I always enjoyed the pictures you posted and the things you shared. I hope you are doing well and would love to hear an update!

Suzanne :)

Re: Carole C. ...

Carole C in NOLA on 8/17/04 at 19:54 (158284)

Hi, Suzanne! I'm doing well and luckily not having any foot problems these days. I wish I could say the same for sciatica. I think I 'tweaked' my back a week or two ago. I'm sure it will feel better soon, but meanwhile it's been difficult to sleep.

On Sunday, on an impulse Frank took me to Algiers! Not the Algiers in Algeria, but a suburb of New Orleans, on the other side of the Mississippi River. We went over a great big toll bridge to get there. I had never been to Algiers and it seemed like the ends of the earth to me, so it was almost as much fun as going to Algeria. We drove around and looked. I saw gigantic mansions almost like palaces, only a couple of blocks away from dreadful poverty. This seemed to be the way the whole town of Algiers is. No Casbah there, though.

He decided to skip work on Monday and go look for another car to replace his 1992 Nissan. When I drove up to my house after work, he was sitting there in a very nice 2002 Ford Ranger truck. It is just what he wanted, so I am happy for him. He took me to Outback to celebrate. I tried to figure out something nonfattening, and ended up with the grilled chicken caesar salad. I think it was probably about a zillion calories though! Then, we went to the bowling alley to watch his father and sister bowl.

The weather in Louisiana has been spectacular... almost cold, with highs in the 70's or low 80's, and the lows in the low 60's. It was a little warmer today, but we really enjoyed the cool weather while it was here. On Friday evening we just sat out on my patio furniture and talked even after it was too dark to see. A cool breeze was blowing and it felt wonderful.

I haven't really been up to much else except working every day, and the usual chores. Tonight I washed my hair and I'm doing my laundry.

How have you been lately, Suzanne? I need to get caught up on reading the message board.

Carole C

Julie on 8/18/04 at 01:42 (158302)

Carole, you sound very happy! I'm glad for you.

Suzanne D. on 8/18/04 at 15:18 (158353)

Hello, Carole! It's really nice to hear from you. It sounds as if your life is going well, and I am glad.

Our weather has been like yours, especially last week. It has warmed up this week, but we really enjoyed the more pleasant temperatures and lower humidity which is rare for us (and you, I'm sure!) in August. They don't call them the 'dog days' of August for nothing! :)

My feet really do not bother me now except for stiffness in the mornings and after sitting for awhile. I will always be thankful for non-hurting feet for the rest of my life! I do feel that I'll never be able to go back to wearing 'regular' shoes as I have tried some different ones, and the lack of arch support sends me hurrying back to my Birks. After a few steps, I just feel that I am risking doing something bad to my feet if I continue wearing them, so I don't buy them, or I send them back if I ordered them. I think a post of Richard's on the shoe/insert board said in effect that no matter how good the shoe is (supportive, bends at the right place, etc.), if the needed arch support is not there, it isn't good. (That is my paraphrase of what he meant; I may not have exactly his thoughts, but that is what it means to me!)

Also, a really nice side effect of wearing either Birks or SAS with Superfeet is that my back no longer hurts. For 10 years before PF, I went to the chiropractor about every 2-3 weeks for back pain. I haven't been in 3 years now. I think the way I was walking was affecting my back in bad ways.

Speaking of pain, I hope your sciatic pain can be resolved soon and that you will be able to sleep better.

We have been in school for 11 days now, and of course I was busy before then for several days getting ready. And I've been helping get my daughter ready to move into college this weekend. Those things have occupied most of my time lately. This summer I watched all 7 performances of our Youth Theater's 'Guys and Dolls' in which my daughter performed. That was fun!

I called our local college yesterday and asked about community classes being offered this fall. I think I would like to take something - learning to play the dulcimer or something in art. I feel the need to do something new that I would enjoy this fall since my daughter will be gone.

Thanks for answering my post. Again, it was good hearing from you!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/18/04 at 17:26 (158358)

Julie! Good to 'see' you here on the board lately. I hope all has been going well for you this summer. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/18/04 at 17:55 (158360)

What a great idea to take an art or music class while your daughter is away at college. I might do that in a year or two myself. When I was a teenager, my boyfriend made a rosewood dulcimer for me that was beautiful and had a sweet tone. I wish that I still had it, but it was pretty fragile and didn't last. I don't think I could play one, now.

I'm glad to hear that your feet are doing so well and that your good shoes are helping your back pain. I remember how bad that used to get for you sometimes. I bought a lot of Birkenstocks and other shoes back when I had bad PF pain, and I am still wearing them since most of them are not very worn and I want to save money. I bought a new pair of NB 991's a while back to replace my old ones, but that's about all that I've bought. I wear them or my Birkenstocks almost all of the time. When we go to someplace fancy, I have a pair of dressy black flats that I wear which are not good quality. I don't wear them very often, and I haven't had any trouble from them. I go barefoot in the house sometimes, but when I wake up in the middle of the night, I automatically slide into my Birkenstocks. Old habits die hard.

You are amazing and such a wonderful mom... seeing 7 performances of 'Guys and Dolls' would not be most people's idea of fun but you enjoyed it. That's great! :)

My sciatic pain seemed a little better, and last night I slept for 8 hours and finally feel well rested. Eight hours was a big improvement after only an hour or so the night before. I didn't have to take pain medication at bedtime last night, either. But I know that it usually takes a few more days for me to get rid of sciatic pain. I think my sciatic pain was caused by lifting a box containing my old computer, when I mailed it to my daughter in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. I twisted while lifting that awkward box, not generally a smart thing to do.

School in New Orleans starts tomorrow! Our school superintendant was on the evening news tonight with a big, old fashioned brass bell which he rang. He has been working hard to get better attendance on the first day of school. Attendance on the first day used to be only 70%, but last year (his first year) it improved to 85%. He is doing a good job.

THanks for thinking of me and starting this thread! :)

Carole C