Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS...Do we manage it? or Can it go away without surgery?

Posted by Kitty on 8/15/04 at 20:13 (158028)

Curious as to if some of these drugs I have heard you discuss actually cures the cause. Is it reversable without surgery?????

Re: TTS...Do we manage it? or Can it go away without surgery?

Terri on 8/15/04 at 20:55 (158036)

Curable without surgery...no, but it can be managed. And surgery is not guaranteed either.

I'm famous for quoting my mom, here's another one of her favorites:
'You can even learn to hang if you hang long enough.'

Don't ask me where she gets them, but after I finish laughing at her and think a bit, I usually get the message.

LARA on 8/15/04 at 22:20 (158042)

I've heard of people who have been cured of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by acupuncture. Ask me next year (maybe earlier) if it works for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I've not heard of anyone on these boards cured by acupuncture (but not heard of many who tried it either) or anything else except surgery. On the other hand, many of us have learned to manage it and have a nice life.

Marty from SLC on 8/16/04 at 11:39 (158084)

As long as you just have the tingling and that's it I would look at your activity level and see if you can over time improve you condition. Neurontin helps too. How do you know you have TTS? Do you know if there's a obstruction causing it?

Marty

Kitty on 8/16/04 at 12:39 (158095)

Thank you for you interest. I see the neurologist on the 25th. Tapping on both of my ankels gives me a positive tinel test. Today my feet are just really sore. They hurt if I am standing or resting. Is tingling the early stages? It is driving me CRAZY or should I say CRAZIER!!!!!!

cindyp on 8/16/04 at 18:31 (158164)

you cannot cure this without surgery. you can decide however if you wish to 'manage' the symptoms. which is what you are doing with medicaiton managing the pain not correcting or solving the problem. you have to decide if that is acceptable. i decided that elavil neuronting and indocin multiple times a day only made me tired and woozy. not good enough in my book.

Kitty on 8/16/04 at 19:46 (158179)

Cindy, Does that mean you had the surgery? And how do you feel now??

cindyp on 8/16/04 at 21:23 (158185)

yes i did and i feel okay 9 days out of 10

Marty from SLC on 8/17/04 at 12:47 (158253)

My first sign was burning and they never really tingle. Burn and hurt only but I had a heel spur removed the same time. I had the surgery because after trying everything I felt I was left with no other choices. I'm doing ok but still recovering. It's been 1.5 years and counting. Don't let everything here scare you because most of those that get better don't visit here often so you don't get to hear from them.

Ask you neurologist about a nerve conduction test and a emg they help in making sure you have TTS though they aren't full prove.

Good luck and keep us posted on your visit to the neurologist.

Marty

Johnn on 8/21/04 at 09:40 (158503)

evry true about people not reporting the possitive results as are we to emphaize the negative, its our human nature to look for the bad instead of finding the good(although i realize at times it is much easier said than done) but somedays my feet just feel freakin fine and i try to notice those times as well, kinda makes you appreciete the good. it is although a freakin cruel game to let us atleast taste the good then throw us the bad. hang in there and find something good.