Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture as treatment for Plantar Fasciitis.

Posted by Alan M on 8/16/04 at 09:29 (158064)

I have heard that acupuncture has been used to successfully treat PF.
Does anybody have an opinion on this ?

Re: Acupuncture as treatment for Plantar Fasciitis.

Pauline on 8/16/04 at 09:47 (158067)

You can do a search on this site by using the word Acupuncture and read what other posters have to say about this form of treatment.

I'm certain that those still posting here and had acupuncture will also respond to your post. From what I've read here over the last 3 years or so, it didn't seem to help them but hopefully someone who tried it will post that they were helped by acupuncture.

DaveP on 8/16/04 at 15:31 (158130)

Tried it for 6 weeks without improvement. I've had chronic PF for 3 yrs.

Rose on 8/16/04 at 18:36 (158167)

I had a series of treatments both before and after my surgery for PF. I am having a series of treatments right now. I find very little improvement, but it has helped so many otehr arts of my body that I really like it. The thing that has helped me the most is the very hard deep tissue massage with also includes the transverse massage. Very healing. The thing that has helped me most lately ws purchasing two pairs of orthopedic shoes. The difference is unreal. I purchased Drew...expensive but well worth it.

gail on 8/16/04 at 19:56 (158181)

Hi! Allan,
I do have a comment. Before trying acupuncture, I had ultrasound treatments, massages from a physical therapist, arch supports, stopped wearing the orthethics I was prescribed, going on a diet to lose weight. I had a bad case of PF on my left foot and could only stand on my feet one hour a day. It hurts so much to walk on my left heel, so I put my weight on the front part of the foot to walk.
I saw 2 different people for acupuncture. The first person use electric probes (no needles) for specific points on my feet. Since he was so busy and would take a month for another appointment, I saw the second person. He used electric current attached to needles. The results were positive. After the first visit, I could walk on my heel. After the 3rd visit I could stand up to 2 hours/day. And after the 4th visits a month I could say I no longer had that sharp pain when you take your first step in the morning.
My feet are not healed (bilateral PF). I can not walk barefoot without pain. But I had a wonderful summer cycling up to 60 miles/week. Oh! one more thing. I notice that when I execise I need less medication for pain. Maybe, I am building endurance. I feel more energetic and stronger.
Did acupuncture really help me in getting better? I really don't know, I can't be 100% sure. Maybe, it's a combination of all the treatments I got. I feel though that it lessen the inflamation in the heel.
Right now, I'm going for a calf and foot massage once/week. I believe this is helping too.
So, this is my experience, Allan. I prayed a lot too when those days filled with pain where just hard to get by. Finding this web site, was a blessing too. Having a place to talk with people who understands what its like to live with chronic pain. These two things helped me mentally(tremendously).
Good luck! and take care, GAIL M

Petro K on 8/31/04 at 21:09 (159073)

Julie on 9/01/04 at 02:01 (159075)

I think you are asking this question on the wrong message board. There is no-one here with professional knowledge of acupuncture, and only a few people who have tried acupuncture as a treatment for PF. If you were to get any answers, they would be unreliable.

If you are not a trained acupuncturist, but are still using needles, you should at least get advice from someone who knows what they are doing - in person, NOT on an internet forum.