Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I AM SO FRUSTURATED!!!! PLEASE HELP

Posted by MonicaF on 8/16/04 at 12:32 (158093)

HI. THis past June, I had a partial release open surgery for plantar faciiatis. I also had my heel spur shaved down. As of now, 2 months post surgery, i have extensive heel pain and the outside of my foot is in great pain also. At times it feels worse than before the surgery which frusturates me even more. I feel as though things are progressivly getting worse when it should be healing and improving. Are the pains that i am feeling normal and all part of the recovery process? I am in phycial therapy right now but even that doesnt seem to be helping. Please help me! I need all the advice i can get. I am going C-R-A-Z-Y! :) Thanks for your help.

Monica

Re: I AM SO FRUSTURATED!!!! PLEASE HELP

Marty from SLC on 8/16/04 at 14:30 (158124)

Yes what you feel is probably normal but only you can say how much pain your in.

Did they do a complete release? If so this makes the foot really unstable and will take time to adjust and will depend on things like if you have orthodic and time spent on your feet.

Hang in there !!!

Marty

Pauline on 8/16/04 at 17:43 (158157)

Monica,
Not to sound nasty, but let me welcome you to the world of foot surgery.
I'm truly sorry that you're experiencing soooo much pain. Today there are ways to make you comfortable and reduce your pain level through medication until your foot heals a little more.

If you haven't contacted your doctor please do so and tell him what you are experiencing, the condition of your foot and request pain relief through additional medication.

You may even want an office visit to recheck your foot and make certain that you are on target toward healing and that nothing else has happened as a result of your surgery. Sometimes complications do occur, even broken bones that need to be addressed quickly so an office visit might be in order.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees that come with any surgery and having P.F. surgery doesn't guarantee that you will be pain free. That's what you and your doctor aim and hope for, but the reality is that complications do happen.

Additionally it can take up to an entire year for healing depending on a variety of things and of course patience isn't our strongest virtue when in pain or ill. There are no snip and go foot surgeries.

Why not consider calling your doctor and see if you can at least achieve some pain relief via medication. A break in pain will allow your body to relax and continue the healing process. Additionally it may also provide more comfort to you to know that everything ok.

Dr. Z on 8/16/04 at 22:31 (158192)

Hi
See your doctor as soon as possible. Discuss your pain with him You may need to be placed into a cast