Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Best Orthopedic Shoes

Posted by Rose on 8/16/04 at 18:46 (158171)

What do you consider to be the best orthopedic shoes for a person with PF? I had open release surery a year ago and still have pain and trouble standing long or walking too far. There is still lots of first step pain. I purchassed a pair of Drew shoes in the Mary Jane style so I could wear a dress , and they worked very well. I am not hunting for a pair of very stable black shoes that are probably lace ups. I think I need the rocker bottom and/or the roll bar. I have a good pair of Brooks for casual, I just need the laces up for a little dressier look. I have noticed a huge difference in these sepcialized shoes. I rear they are supposed to be a lot more stable that the SAS. It that correct? So I welcome comments on actual orthopedic shoes.

Re: Best Orthopedic Shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 8/17/04 at 08:05 (158214)

I do not consider any shoe to be good for PF. The healing comes with proper support. Proper support comes from a good orthosis made by someone who knows what they are doing.

The shoe should have a good, solid heel counter for ankle stability. The shoe should not bend in the middle. It should only bend a the ball area, where your foot bends naturally.

I described before, that the top of the line Brooks motion control shoe which sells from $120 - $150, depending on where you can get it, has a flat midsole. No support at all.

The support of the orthosis will prevent the over stretching of the fascia which promotes healing.

Check your insurance to see if they cover orthopedic shoes before you purchase another pair.

Re: Best Orthopedic Shoes

Rose on 8/17/04 at 11:11 (158240)

Thank you for your comments.