Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will the pain get worse?

Posted by laurie on 8/17/04 at 11:59 (158244)

I just found out that I can have this procedure done. I've been suffering from Plantar Fasciitis for almost a year. I've learned to live with the pain, but would certainly prefer living without it. My concern is that the procedure will worsen my pain. Has that happened to anyone?

Re: Will the pain get worse?

Dr. Z on 8/17/04 at 12:45 (158251)

ESWT in most cases will lessen your heel pain within a short period of time. There are patients that do take longer up to a six months or more. In most cases the pain will increase but this is very usual and usually last a very short period of time.

Ellie S. on 8/22/04 at 20:34 (158557)

How can the pain increase after the ESWT procedure. Isn't it to get rid of plantar fasciitis heel pain? Yeps! my turn to have ESWT is coming up in just a few days, 8-25-04.

Dr. Z on 8/22/04 at 20:37 (158558)

Let me clarify. The increased pain is rare and only lasts a short period of time.

Andy J on 9/10/04 at 19:00 (159688)

Please be careful about generalizations-- no medical procedure is without risks and this one is no exception. I've had chronic PF for over a decade (I'm 42) developed after years of competitive distance running. Like many folks, after trying a variety of standard treatments, I had learned to live with the discomfort and still lead a relatively active life. I heard about the Ossatron from a friend several years ago and researched the procedure very carefully. With eyes wide open I had it performed in November '03 (in Boulder, CO by a podiatrist). The impact on me was immediate and devastating. I went from mild discomfort beforehand to a persitant feeling of intense soreness. The procedure causes hemmoraging and, surprise, I felt badly bruised. I went from being able to do the things I loved (jogging, hiking biking) to not being able to walk across a mall and eventually to crutches. Now, I think I'm finally on the mend but the effort to recover has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Accupuncture provided some relief (administered by an MD), principally making the pain more diffuse and giving me something to build on. I'm currently undergoing IMS treatments which have also helped and I'm back to limited jogging while taped. Lesson: I believe that the procedure is effective for most people and should be considered (I'm apparently on the tail-end of the bell curve). HOWEVER, it's not a gimme. There can be complications. Treat the decision to have ESWT with the same care that you would any other surgery-- invasive or not.