Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is arch pain normal?

Posted by lisa71 on 8/17/04 at 16:28 (158274)

First of all I find it very strange that I am nearly eighteen and have plantar facitiis. Second of all my pain is mostly directly on the plantar facial and rarely in the heel. I guess what I am saying is it possible my doctor mis diagnosed me because nearly everyone I have heard on this board says they have heel pain and I rarly do. Mostly near the ankle. Thanks for any help. I am freaking out a litte because my dad has severe nuropothy in both feet due to diabetes and can harley walk even with the more intense pain medications. Thanks again.

Re: Is arch pain normal?

Marty in SLC on 8/17/04 at 19:35 (158283)

Sorry no one responded to your post, I think and I'm not a doctor that it is possible to have pain in the arch area and have a plantar faciitis but it's less likely, only in real acute cases. I do agree with you that neuropathy is a scary thing but there are tests that can help with that. Chances aren't that great you have it.

Let me ask you a few questions.

How long have you had this pain?
Is it worse first thing in the mornig?
What kind of doctor told you you have PF?
Did that doctor tap on the inside of your ankle? (you said your ankle hurts there)

It's good your here asking questions and I would suggest that you read 'the book' the link is at the top of the page and start be limiting you activity level for starters if you haven't already.

Good luck and keep us posted,

lisa71 on 8/18/04 at 00:36 (158299)

How long have I had it?

a year

Is it worse in the morning?

only recently, not really worse but more I feel a dull ache but no worse than the rest of the day, primarily the pain comes with walking/running to much

What kind of doc told me I have PF?

A podiatrist

Did the doctore tap the inside of your ankle?

No, I do not always have pain there only ocasionally.

My question was that I do not believe I worded very well is that fact that my pain, by the way it is not acute all the time but I know from experience if I aggravate it it will worsen to the point where I will find it difficult to walk, is in the arch primarily perhaps a sign of something other than plantar facitiis.

Oh I did not mean I suspect I have neuropathy I was just referring to that as cause for my alarm as I have seen what foot pain can do to someone.

Pete on 8/18/04 at 05:26 (158305)

I have arch pain and no heel pain as well. I think a lot of people on these boards have similar symptoms. I'm not a doctor but you probably first need to see whether orthotics help your symptoms by supporting the arch. You may have a biomechanical problem.Your pod should advise on this. You may wish to se a different pod for a second opinion. Scans / x rays would help to rule out other possible problems.

You may wish to use the 'ask the doctors' section on this Board for more
professional advice. Good luck

Marty from SLC on 8/18/04 at 08:19 (158314)

Did your Pod tell you to cut out your activities like running for a while to see what would happen?

To answer your question but no means am I a doctor pain in the arch can be PF but you may want to go back or go get a second opinion and ask about the occasional pain on the side of your ankle. With pain in the arch area and pain on the inside of the ankle this could be Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. But it might just be that you have strained things and my just need to stop as much activity as possible. Also Pete had a good point have you had x-rays?

Have you posted your question on the doctors board?

Good luck and keep us posted,

lisa71 on 8/18/04 at 10:03 (158322)

Hmm, that makes sense. I was confused about my diagnosis because I have never had heel pain much. What is a biomechanical problem? Thanks again.

Michael on 8/18/04 at 16:43 (158357)

Lisa I too have pain in the arch area never in the heel. I have been in contant pain for 19 months. My pain has not even stopped for one minute it's been a real hell. I have seem many doctors have had several test ran and still a mystery to the doctors why the pain. It's driving me nuts not knowing why the pain and what to do to help relieve this horrid pain. It has also been rough on my wife to watch me suffer all this time in pain. Every doctor I see has a different opinion on why the pain none agree which does not help. I also have ankle clonus have had that for 15 years which may have put a strain on my feet and that's maybe why the pain. Again constant pain is a living hell. Michael

HilaryG on 8/18/04 at 17:50 (158359)

Have you tried ART - Active Release Techniques. I too had terrible arch pain for a very long time as my main symptom of PF and the only thing that helped was ART. It is a technique used by some chiropractors. You can read about it by looking at the websites activerelease.com or drabelson.com. Acriverelease.com has a provider locator but drabelson.com is much more informative. Before i tried ART I went to 3 podiatrists and an orthopedic surgeon and none of them were able to help me. Hilary

john h on 8/19/04 at 09:34 (158397)

the 'classic' place for PF pain is not in the heel but just forward of the heel where the fascia attaches to the heel towards the inside of the foot.Most of us would call this the arch area.