Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not so scared for now

Posted by christyw on 8/17/04 at 17:58 (158279)

Hello,
I had my EPF done today and everything went well. I go to the doctor tomorrow and was supposed to get a cast put on but I may go strait to a walking boot instead. Everything was good and I don't remember anything. I have had some pain today but the pain pills have helped with that. The doctor said that I bled a little more than most people do. Thanks to everyone that sent me some feedback. I will keep everyone posted on how everything goes. Please feel free to let me know anything else you think is important for me to know and what to expect. I will be going back in about 2 weeks for the other foot to be done if everything is well with my left one.

Thanks,
Christy

Re: Not so scared for now

Pauline on 8/17/04 at 19:05 (158280)

Christy,
Glad you hear you're doing well and I hope you continue on that path.
Follow your doctors orders, take your pain pills as directed and hopefully you'll be walking on that foot without pain real soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

walter on 8/17/04 at 21:06 (158287)

first thing ice ice baby. But both feet within two weeks WOW. Good luck hope to see your next post.

Pauline on 8/17/04 at 21:49 (158291)

Walter,
I think your WOW is an important one because those of us that have been on the board know the drawbacks from having two feet done so close together.

We voiced our opinion to her prior to surgery, but both you and I know the final decision rests with the patient.

As healing goes on these next few days she may change her mind. For her sake I hope she sails through this with little to no pain and a very speedy recovery.

christyw on 8/17/04 at 22:24 (158294)

Thank you very much for wishing me a speedy recovery. I am not really sure if I will have the second one done so soon. I will probably try to wait until I am atleast walking on my left foot. The doctor recomends that if they both are hurting that I should go ahead and get both of them done. I am going to see how this left one does first though. Once again thanks for all your concern. Hope to hear from you again.

Julie on 8/18/04 at 01:37 (158301)

Christy, I too am glad that you are pleased so far with your surgery. And as Pauline says, the decision rests with the patient. But I echo Walter's WOW. What is the hurry? It can take up to a year to heal completely even from EPF, and even after you are walking on your left foot you won't really know for at least some months how successful the surgery has been. I am surprised that the doctor recommends doing the second one soon.

Les on 8/19/04 at 09:35 (158398)

I think the thing that has helped me most is doing what the doctor told me to do! I also have been able to work from home for the summer so I can take it a bit easier.

I had ice on constantly and had very little swelling. I had more pain week 2 than week 1 - I think from the stitches - but not an unbearable amount.

I am now 8 weeks post surgery. I am still wearing my runners all the time because my orthotics fit into them and I think that has helped a lot too. I have some pain if I overdo it and I am stiff in the morning still. My doctor told me it would likely be about 6 months to really recover.

Rose on 8/22/04 at 12:07 (158539)

I had both feet done at once, . One was recovered in 6 weeks but the other is still very painful after a year. It was good having them both at once because I could stay in bed and ice both all day. It was in the hot part of the summer so the ice felt good. I had no swelling at all. It forced me to stay off my feet and they healed wquickly that way, but one did not do as well as the other and I still cannot stand for more than a few minutes or walk far without a lot of pain and it has been a year. I wish yo the best.

Pat on 8/22/04 at 22:06 (158568)

One comment I would like to make - (and I had the surgery ten years ago and had the worst time of my life) is that the walking boot may give you a false sense that everything is o.k. because it is easier to walk in. It was a month before I could even wear a sneaker and almost a year before I could get out of bed and walk on my foot first thing in the morning. My surgery was not like most but I think the main thing is is to really take it easy for the first 3 - 4 weeks after the surgery. The boot may make you feel like your foot is really heeling first but it's delicate and you need to stay at home and have someone help you out (I live by myself and was in a town far from family or friends when I had it done and I think I put way to much pressure on my foot immediately after because I had to). Looking back I would just take it easy.

april l on 8/23/04 at 20:18 (158595)

Pat,
Can you believe that my doctor sent me back to work 7 days after my surgery? That was 7 yrs ago. I am a waitress! He allowed me the week off to recover (how sweet of him, LOL!) I went back because I trusted him and had no clue that I should've been out for months of recovery. I suffered for a few days working and then found another doctor, who put me on temp. disability for 3 months.

christyw on 8/23/04 at 22:13 (158602)

That is aweful. I don't see how you done it. It has been 1 week tuesday since my surgery. Still doing pretty good. Having a little pain but nothing that I can't deal with. I'm not sure how long I will be out of work though. I have my right foot done on Sept. 8th. I think he said recovery is 6-8 weeks.