Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard C.Ped.

Posted by susan o on 8/18/04 at 09:05 (158316)

Hey Richard, I saw your post back there about shoes not being the issue, but the orthotics. (If I understood correctly...?) But, how the heck DO we go about finding good shoes while we are in the healing process? It's not like you can put on a shoe and feel comfortable. I got hard orthotics about 3 months ago. Am able to walk now (actually just managed to walk a total of 20 miles on trails over several days on vacation...and the foot is back to hurting a bit now). Need more dressy shoes than the athletics now and am getting frustrated. Hubby is pushing the idea of custom made shoes and hate to think of that expense.
Saw your post about a site to find podiatrists, but the site doesn't come up for me. Was the address right?

Re: Richard C.Ped.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/18/04 at 12:27 (158336)

Here is the link again. It is a link to find a C.Ped in your area.
http://67.94.103.35/bcp_search.htm

Unless you have a deformed foot, custom should not be necessary.

Look for a shoe with a solid heel counter, the part that wraps around your heel and achilles. It should be very hard to squeeze. A solid heel counter is good for ankle stability.

Try to bend the shoe in the middle. Try very very hard. If the shoe bends in the middle, I would stay away from it. A good shoe should only bend at the ball area, where the foot bends naturally.

If you find a C.Ped or if you use any other orthopedic shoe store, check your insurance first to see if they cover orthopedic shoes. If so, get a prescription, then go visit the shoe stores.

Cyndi T. on 8/18/04 at 13:01 (158344)

I've never known what 'C.' Ped means. Does it mean certified pedorthist?

Richard, C.Ped on 8/18/04 at 13:27 (158348)

That is correct. Certified Pedorthist. :-)

susan o on 8/18/04 at 20:59 (158370)

Thanks for the address Richard. Now, how does one go about guessing if someone is good at their job. Any indicators, questions to ask them before you go? I'll have to travel at least a couple hours to get to someone, so it's not like I can ask around in the neighborhood about someone's reputation.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/19/04 at 07:57 (158391)

I am going to be out of the office most of today (thursday). I will gladly post some good questions tomorrow. I wanted to let you know that I will not ignore the post. :-)