Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

washing orthotics

Posted by lisa71 on 8/18/04 at 20:49 (158369)

How do you recommend washing these things. They tend to get smelly after awhile. I have just been using soap and water but is there maybe something special I should use? And how often?

Re: washing orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 8/19/04 at 07:56 (158390)

Soap and water is fine. You can always sprinkle baby powder or anything similar to help as well.

Kathy G on 8/24/04 at 09:59 (158615)

Now if we could just stop the bloody squeaking! I'm down to my last pair of Gel Cumulus running shoes and my orthotics squeak like crazy in them. I put in powder but it does no good. When I put them in my old Asics, they don't squeak. It drives me crazy but at least I don't still work at the library! I sure couldn't sneak up on anyone when I'm wearing these.

In the meantime, I'm searching for some new Gel Cumulus shoes that will work for me. I thought I'd found them and ordered four pairs via mail order. They hurt badly and now I'm out $25 for shipping them back! On a day my feet feel normal, which isn't today, I'll go and try some at the local store and buy them. If, after a week or two, they work, then I'll see if I can get a good deal online.

Okay, I'm off for the day. Hear me squeaking??

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/04 at 14:55 (158631)

Kathy:
The sqeauking is usually from the front edge of the orthotic rubbing as the foot flattens the orthotic. Concentrate the powder along the front edge but if that does not work, obtain some dry graphite or teflon lubricant (used for locks so you will find it in the door lock section of hardware stores) along the front edge.
Ed

S.Olsen on 8/25/04 at 21:17 (158704)

For sweaking use ski wax. Works for me. Keep applying.

Kathy G on 8/26/04 at 08:35 (158719)

Thanks for the hints! I'll try them and see if I can sneak about!