Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

recovery

Posted by christyw on 8/19/04 at 11:07 (158409)

Just an update on how I am doing. I had some pain the first night that I had the surgery. I didn't hardly sleep any. I tried to take the pain pills before the pain started but I was only taking 1 at a time when I should have taken 2. The next day I went and had PT and then he put a cast on. The good thing is that I didn't need crutches. He told me not to be on it alot. I had just a little swelling and my foot was a little black and blue. So far I haven't had to take anymore pain pills and I slept really good last night. I will be wearing the cast for 10 days and then in a walking boot for a couple weeks. So far everything has went well. I am really happy with my doctor and glad that I got his opinion (which he was my second opinion). I like him alot better than my first doctor that I went to for 2 years. He has helped me alot more than the first. If you have any questions about the surgery and what to expect please let me know. I know when I go back to work that is going to be when I will be able to tell how the surgery worked. But for now I can say that the surgery itself is not bad at all. You don't know about anything because you are out. I was scared at first because I had never had surgery.

Re: recovery

april l on 8/19/04 at 15:03 (158424)

Just remember, the surgery is the easy part, at least for me it was. I don't think you are going to be able to judge if it worked or not right away. I was off work for 4 months and when I went back I was in terrible pain standing on my feet. I needed the pain pills then way more than the period of time immediately after surgery. I don't mean to scare you, I'm trying to tell you that you may be disappointed if you go back to work and are still in pain. It takes a long time to recover. I am a year past surgery and my foot is hurting again after being pain free for 3 months. The pain flared up suddenly after a long night on my feet at work. It can get frustrating and seem hopeless at times, but I remember all this 7 yrs ago when I had the first surgery and that foot is completely normal now.

Re: recovery

Les on 8/20/04 at 17:56 (158486)

I also found that week 1 was easier than week 2. Week 2 my stitches pulled a lot. My cast was on the first week, then I just had a walking boot. The boot rubbed a bit on the stitches and created some discomfort for me.

I'd also say TAKE IT EASY and do what your doctor tells you to do. Keep ice on to keep the swelling down and you'll have less pain.

I'm 8 weeks post surgery and I'm pretty much back to normal but if I over do it I hurt. Listen to your body.

Re: recovery /EPF Surgery 9 months ago

BudP on 8/21/04 at 08:56 (158501)

ChristyW,
I am 9 months post op. and my PF pain is completely gone. The EPF surgery was the right decision for me. All I can say is go easy on your foot.Do very little for the first 2 mor 3 weeks. I was out of the boot and walking around 10 days after surgery,but I took it easy for 2 or 3 months. After 6 months I was walking 2 or 3 miles a day.I still have pain in my arch but it is more like a pulled muscle.The first step pain that lasted 24/7 has been gone ever since surgery. If you have any questions just write. Sorry I havent been online for a couple weeks,then last week we got devestated by hurricane Charley. So we're just putting things back together. Good luck. Bud

Re: recovery /EPF Surgery 9 months ago

christyw on 8/21/04 at 22:28 (158522)

Thanks alot for everyone's help. Sorry about the hurricane Bud P.