Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Over a year post surgery

Posted by Rose on 8/20/04 at 19:37 (158488)

It has been over a year now since I had open release surgery for PF. My healing seems to be at a stand still now. I am beginning to think that this is just as good as it gets. But I was wondering...lately I have started having pain on the bottom of my foot on the outside of the arch towards the outside of my foot. I welcome comments on this.
I have first step pain most of the time, ankle pain, and cannot stand in one spot more than about 5 minutes. I can walk only a little , maybe 2-3 blocks without being in too much pain to go on. I use a cane some of the time and need a wheel chair if we are going to anything t6hat would take a lot of walking. I do all the regular things like careful stretching, soaking, icing, and deep tissue massage. I am doing acupuncture and I see a chiropractor. I do water aerobics, without touching the bottom of the pool for cardio exercise and then hand weights for upper body. I cannot imagine standing long enough to do yoga, but I understand there are chair classes and I am going to sign up in the fall. Then I have to spend the next several days off my feet as much as possible. When my foot is very sore I wear the boot to bed and it helps a lot. First step pain is so much better after I wear the boot for a while, even during the day. But the boot tends to make my calf weak and I am unstable on my feet and am losing a lot of balance. I am 60.
Again I welcome comments. I thought about getting a new pair of custom orthodics, since mine were made before my surgery well over two years ago, as the arch is starting to hurt with every step and real feel the orthodic.
Thanks so much.

Re: Over a year post surgery

Julie on 8/21/04 at 01:55 (158492)

Rose, I am not a doctor, but from reading past posts I think this may be lateral column syndrome. This can happen after the main supporting structure of the foot is weakened through surgery. You should see your podiatrist as you almost certainly need new orthotics that will provide additional support. You should see your podiatrist as soon as possible in any case.

Of course I could be wrong, and I hope one of the doctors will respond to your post. Why don't you post again on the Ask the Doctor board in case they don't see this one? You can also search the website for past posts and other references to lateral column syndrome.

Dr. Z on 8/21/04 at 07:02 (158495)

I think you made the diagnosis. Orthosis are a very good start. So is physical therapy if it hasn't been done already. Must get the foot strong again

Rose on 8/21/04 at 12:12 (158507)

Thank you for your replies.

BarbaraM on 9/14/04 at 22:18 (159914)

Rose did you find out if it is LCS? and how is your foot these days?
I find myself with the same pain but a dr who doesnt seem to know why this is. Please email whitekar 54 @yahoo. com if you wish to share any information. Thanks