Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Trainers users ahoy!

Posted by chrisb on 8/21/04 at 12:41 (158509)

Hi folks.
For those of you who've used Mike Wilmot's Foot Trainers -- perhaps you can advise me (Mike doesn't seem to answer emails)

I've been doing the Level One exercises for awhile and the exercise booklet tells me I should be moving on to 'Level 2 Isokinetic Exercises' now. The first instruction says 'point your feet away from body and then perform an isometric extensor contraction.' (and then to move feet towards body resisting with the FootTrainer)

What is an isometric extensor contraction? Curling the toes? Pulling them back? Sticking them in my ears?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Foot Trainers users ahoy!

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/21/04 at 14:52 (158512)

chrisb:
Mike is usually good at returning emails. I wonder if he is on vacation?
An isometic extensor contraction would mean pulling the toes backward against resistance. So you are starting with your feet pointed and the device 'pad' on top of the pointed toes and basically trying to pull your toes up pushing the device toward you. To do so isometrically means that there is resistance but no motion occurring.
Ed

Re: Foot Trainers users ahoy!

chrisb on 8/23/04 at 09:50 (158579)

Thank you Ed.