Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I cured?

Posted by AndrueC on 8/22/04 at 16:46 (158543)

Some of you may remember me - I pop in from time to time and have done for several years. Over the last 18 months my feet have got better and better for the last six months I have been going out for a twenty minute to three quarter of an hour walk most lunch times. I also go for an hour long walk a lot of weekends. I spent one weekend on holiday in Salzburg and did quite a lot of walking.

Generally I find I can walk about as far and as often as I want. My feet often feel a bit put upon afterward but the feeling has always gone by the next morning.

What I still have however is tenderness at the base of my arch. It still feels like there's a bruise deep inside. Mostly I don't have problems with it but it is still there.

A week ago I started doing squats (one foot at a time) to try and strengthen my knees since the right one occasionally gives me trouble. I found that this aggravated the base of my arch and made it quite tender for a day or two. It never hurt at the time of doing the squats but obviously something wasn't happy.

After all the progress I appear to have made I'm now wondering if I've made any at all. Could it be just that I've adapted to whatever the problem is?

I've stopped doing the squats and everything is fine again now but it makes me wonder. I'm not overwheight (nearly underwheight now) and only 37 years old. Surely one foot knee squats shouldn't be a problem for my feet if they are recovered?

Re: Am I cured?

Pauline on 8/22/04 at 17:30 (158545)

I'm not a doctor, but wonder if perhaps strengthing the small muscles in the arch area and foot may be needed. It sounds like the recovery process took place but like any injury left weaken muscles. I'm wondering if one could strengthing this area and allowing the foot to regain total support itself instead of relying on something artificial like an orthotic especially if there are no other problems.

I've not seen a lot of interest in strengthing foot muscles, but I've seen a lot of orthotic sales. Just a thought, but it does seem to go along with other parts of the body that sustain injury. Muscles are retrained and strengthened. People are not usually told to rely on an artificial support for the rest of their life unless there is a definite need.

Dr. Z on 8/22/04 at 18:37 (158549)

Hi

We go to a podiatrist when we are in pain. Why not have a complete evaluation ( preventive) before you increase or change your lifestyle?

Place on 8/22/04 at 21:17 (158561)

My husban also has PF but on a much milder version, and even though he does not have the problems he did have when it first started, as he increased his running after getting 'rid' of it for 2 years, he has it coming back. I truly believe that until you get rid of what is cuasing it, it will come back.

Julie on 8/23/04 at 01:32 (158573)

Hi Andrue - it's good to hear you're doing well.

Squats are great, but they do ask every muscle in the feet, legs and lower back to work extra hard. If there is a weakness anywhere, squats will find it. It does sound as though they were irritating your arch. And they can overstrain weak knees. If you want to strengthen your knees, concentrate on strengthening the quadriceps muscles.

Julie on 8/23/04 at 01:33 (158574)

Agreed, Place.

AndrueC on 8/23/04 at 04:00 (158575)

That's a very good point. I have actually been walking barefoot a little bit now and again. I still wear my birks when getting up to go to the bathroom but if I want to get a beer from the fridge I will often go barefoot. I'd like to wean myself of orthosis eventually.

AndrueC on 8/23/04 at 04:01 (158576)

Unfortunately my pod was on holiday until very recently but I've made an appointment to see him.