Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultrasound to cure foot pain?

Posted by Ed on 8/24/04 at 11:01 (158618)

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis about a year ago. The first podiatrist I saw administered ultrasound therapy twice a week for a little under a month as well as anti-inflammatory medication. This did the trick, it cured me for about six months.

Then it came back and since I had moved I saw a new podiatrist. He only recommended stretching and ice but so far this hasn't really done the trick. I'm looking for something similar to what was done to my foot in the past.

Has anyone heard of ultrasound therapy for this condition? Do you recommend going back to this route?

Re: Ultrasound to cure foot pain?

Kathy in Ky on 8/24/04 at 17:54 (158637)

I went for six chiropractic visits during the summer. They included ultra sound, electronic stimulation & trigger point massage. Plus I'm taking all my vitamins & minerals. My PF isn't cured but is much better. So I would recommend the ultra sound. This was my second full day of teaching this year & I came home with enough energy to do laundry! That is a big improvement for me.

Re: Ultrasound to cure foot pain?

R C on 8/25/04 at 10:13 (158665)

My understanding of ultrasound is that it administers deep heat into the target area, resulting in increased circulation and thus speeds up healing. For some people that might be enough. However, for others ultrasound alone will not address any of the biomechanical issues (e.g., overpronation) that may have played a role. Thus we talk about wearing orthotics, taping, right shoes, etc.