Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just wondering....

Posted by Terri on 8/24/04 at 21:40 (158646)

This has been discussed briefly in the past, but I didn't see many replies from people, so thought I'd try it again:

In trying to find a common denominator for TTS, some of us have wondered from time to time what we all may have in common. One of the theories was a structural abnormality or 'difference' from birth or early childhood. For instance, I was born severely pigeon-toed and had to wear shoe style braces from 3 mos to 1 1/2 years old that turned my feet outward at an angle. My mother tells me I learned to walk in these braces by swinging my hips from side to side. I had them off only 1 hour/day, then went to wearing them only at night until I was 3. I've never had strong ankles and couldn't ice skate on a single blade. My lower calves and ankles have always been thin. When running, it felt like was constantly on the verge of suffering a sprain.

Does anyone else have a similar background or experiences?

Re: Just wondering....

Geri on 8/25/04 at 06:58 (158655)

Terri; I did not have any of the above problems but I do recall my Grandmother rubbing her feet anytime she sat down and putting her feet in cold buckets of water. Her complaint was her feet burned!! She died when she was 82 of a stroke still complaining of her feet. I do know she went to Doctors about her feet, but do not know what they did for her. Her daughter also had some of the feet burning but never dwelled on it like my grandmother. I wish I had asked more questions while they were alive, but I did not think I would need to know. When this burning and pain started in my feet I had a flashback of my grandmother as I sat there iceing and rubbing.
Size wise, looks and personality I have always thought I was like my grandmother. Everyone in my biological family is tall and thin. I'm short and fight weight constantly. We both were very very energetic and busy. The rest of my family is laid back.
Is there a hereditary gene here?? Both of my daughters have foot problems. One pf and the other aching feet after walking all day. They both have been to POD's and wear orthotics. They both are pain free now,however, one is pg for the first time and worries about her pf coming back. It took her 3 years to get rid of it.
I have thought all along that the tendencies for my foot problems were inherited.

lauriel on 8/25/04 at 15:56 (158688)

well, I overpronate and have a flexible flat foot, so I think that is my cause, and I have always wore what I thought good shoes, rarely high heels, and I have never ben on my feet a lot like working or exercising, ie running. my husband says I walk wierd.

Julie on 8/26/04 at 01:53 (158713)

Terri, you mention weak ankles. Do you have hypermobile (i.e. loose) ligaments? This often accounts for weak, easily sprained ankles which tend to fall inwards, a state of affairs that could put pressure on the nerves in the tarsal tunnel.

Have you had orthotics to correct overpronation?

Re: my mother too has foot pain

Buck on 8/27/04 at 11:43 (158807)

My mother when in her mid 30's began having the same burning, tingling and numbing discomfort in her feet that I have.

I too developed this in my mid 30's. She is living with it, and really has not had a good diagnosis about what it is.

I also wonder about some heredity on this.

This is another one of the reasons i would like to fix my feet. Hopefully if I can figure out my trouble it might be the same for her.

Re: Just wondering....Julie

Terri on 8/29/04 at 13:40 (158921)

Julie, I wear orthotics now but never did when I was younger. I don't know anything about loose ligaments, just assumed I was one of those people who didn't have strong ankles that yes, do fall inwards.

LARA on 8/30/04 at 11:24 (158973)

Some of us have wondered if menopause contributed to our TTS. In my case, I think it was water retention that started it. Whether that was do to perimenopause, or a medication known to cause water retention, or something else I'll never know for sure. I do think I was prone to TTS - based on my history - although I never realized it before and then something came along to push me over into TTS territory.

Re: no menopause but,

Buck on 8/30/04 at 11:47 (158977)

I did start takind a water pill, hydrochlorathiazide about 3 months prior to the onset of my foot pain. I had taken a similiar med, naqua that in all practical purposes was the same as the hydrochlorathiazide, but nonetheless i do wonder about it.

I tried to stop taking the hydrochlorathiazide, which helps me not get kidney stones. I developed 2 kidney stones within a week, so I went back on it.

This actually helps to reduce water in the body. Your comment about water retention matched what my doc said when i asked if my drug could have caused this. Essentially he said no, but water retention would have.