Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

H E L P!

Posted by Marsha G. on 8/25/04 at 08:01 (158656)

Can anyone tell me just where the tarsal tunnel is located? In terms that I will understand....I have had it with my doctors. I Have seen a orthopediic dr, a pod. and now a neurologist. I have diagnosis of PF, TTS and now RSD. I have had a bone scan of my foot. On neurontin had a nerve test yesterday (that did not test for TTS) I feel like they do not understand the magnitude of my pain....I have received no test results and it will probably take weeks to get them......

Re: H E L P!

Darlene on 8/25/04 at 09:40 (158663)

I received my bone scan results within days and my NCV study results as soon as they did it. Just ask your doctor to call - if the report isn't ready they could get a verbal report. Also, they often send the results via regular mail in this the day and age of instant communications. I had mine faxed to the doctor who then faxed it to me.

If you draw a line from your inner ankle bone to the back of your heel, that is where the tarsal tunnel is. The neurovascular bundle runs fairly close to the ankle bone. Here is a picture: http://podiatry.curtin.edu.au/encyclopedia/tarsaltunnel/

LARA on 8/25/04 at 10:32 (158669)

Most people with tarsal tunnel experience nerve-type symtoms on the bottom of their foot. I think some people feel it up their leg to, but I don't so I'm not sure. I don't think any of us have symptoms in our ankles where the tarsal tunnel runs. For me, its a burning sensation on my feet. Others feel pins and needles. I know there are lots of other ways nerve pain shows up too.

A negative EMG/NCV test for TTS doesn't mean you don't have TTS. THere are a signficant number of false negatives. .

TTS tunnel is frequently misdiagnosed as PF, although most diagnosed with PF have PF, and some people have both. A few people have mentioned RSD, but it's much more uncommon than even TTS, which is fairly uncommon and doesn't really get talked about a lot. YOu might try to do a search on RSD.

Julie on 8/25/04 at 11:01 (158673)

There is a good picture and a clear description on Steve Williamson's Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome website http://www.efn.org/~opal/tarsal1.html . Wendy, a regular long-time poster here, posted a very informative FAQ to which there is a link at the top of the TTS board index.

Marsha G. on 8/25/04 at 14:43 (158684)

Thank you all so much for your reply. In the drs office that ordered the bone scan, they have a notice on the wall that states, allow 14 working days to receive results of test......so I am think mine was normal?????as far as the results of the nerve test. A tech did the actual test and stated the dr would have to read the results and get back to me....I had RSD in the same foot 6 1/2 years ago. I realize these types of problems can be difficult to diagnosis, I guess I am just tired of being in pain and each day seems to be more painful. If I continue at this rate, in two months I will not be able to walk for long periods of time.....thanks again and God Bless you all.

MIchelle on 9/21/04 at 18:30 (160282)

When you had the EMG, did it make the RSD flare up? I had RSD 3 months ago (and it went away on its own). The docs want to do an EMG to check for TTS or nerve entrapment, but I am afraid it will flare up the RSD to have all those needles and current in my foot. What was yoru experience like?
thanks for the input!