Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how long does pain last?

Posted by lisa71 on 8/25/04 at 17:11 (158691)

I have been doing stretches for about two weeks. The pain has gotten worse. At first I was doing of the step and wall exercises but I think those hurt my foot. Now I am doing Julie's yoga exercises which help to a certain degree. At first I could not spend more than an hour in a store with a cement floor now I can hardly go to the gas station. In your own experience how long has it taken for the pain to go away. I mean is it normal to not see results for a few weeks? I know that all Pf is different but I would like some personal experiences.Thanks alot.

Re: how long does pain last?

Place on 8/25/04 at 17:52 (158693)

It takes a while for it to go away (6mt to a year), but you should be able to compair your pain/time on your feet week by week. When I first started I would wait months to see if a particular treatment was working, I wasted a lot of time and money. It may not be a dailey improvement but you should be able to tell one week from the next.

Julie on 8/26/04 at 02:19 (158716)

Lisa, your question is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions. There is no one answer to it.

I'm glad you have stopped doing the stair and wall stretches. The yoga exercises will help to strengthen your intrinsic foot muscles as well as stretch your calf muscles, but even they, gentle though they are, need to be done with care. If you feel they are helping, continue with them, but don't overdo them or any other exercise. Often people 'do' too much in their efforts to get better, and that can be counterproductive.

I don't really think you will learn a great deal that is relevant from other people's experience. You need to know about YOUR feet, YOUR case. Trying a bit of this and a bit of that based on the experience of others may help, but on the other hand it may waste valuable time if it isn't relevant to YOU: you need to discover and address the cause of YOUR problem.

See a good podiatrist for a full evaluation of your history and your gait (the way you walk). And your shoes (see my other post). If the first doctor you see doesn't fully evaluate you, and doesn't prescribe a comprehensive treatment plan, see another.

You are young, and you have not had your problem for very long, so as long as you have the right diagnosis and a good treatment plan, you should heal faster than an older person would. An accurate diagnosis of the cause of the problem, and a treatment plan that addresses the cause, are the keys to recovery. And remember that once you've recovered, it will be important to continue doing whatever has helped you recover. Good supportive shoes, orthotics if it has been determined that you need them, and exercise to continue the process of strengthening your feet.

DavidW on 8/26/04 at 09:53 (158726)

lisa71,

I begain stretching 2x/day and icing 1x/day about 5 months ago. 5 months ago, I reached a pain threshold of 10 (severe pain) by around 10am. Today, I reach a pain threshold of around 7 (moderate pain) by around 3pm. This, to me, is a very great improvement. I started daily taping around 3 months ago.

Throughout these months, I have learned to identify when the pain begins to start, and I make a concerted effort to spend the rest of they day off my feet as much as possible. Each day is different, but like others have said, over time, there should be slow improvement.

I would also expect to have setbacks from time to time. Several times, as pain diminished, my confidence has caused me to overdo it, which has caused several setbacks that lasted a week or two. This can be very discouraging, but I stick with it anyhow.

I stretch my calves, achilles, hamstrings and fascia during each session. I do not like the 'wall' stretches because they are too difficult. I prefer the alternative stretches for these body parts as outlined in the stretching book by Bob Anderson. I highly recommend the book. I have increased by dorsiflexion from 12 to 25 degrees using his methods.

No matter what, take stretching slowly (to prevent injury) and stick with it. If you don't do the 'conservative' treatments, and still have pain in 6 months, you will regret not trying. If you do all the 'conservative' treatments and still have pain in 6 months, at least you can tell the doctors that you tried.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/27/04 at 07:58 (158785)

You have to be very careful during stretching. I hardly even mention stretching to my patients. I have heard of over-stretching way to many times. This causes longer healing times. The fascia has to be properly supported to promote healing.

john h on 8/27/04 at 10:08 (158795)

Richard,Dr Ed,Dr Z: I have a bed made of the space age material that retains its shape and conforms to your body (Sweedish made). It is not soft and not hard but it has occured to me that this might be a material worth trying for custom orthotics. It would would conform precisely to your foot once placed in a shoe. It also breathes and on a bed the material is guaranteed for 20 years to retain its shape. If some area of the material needed reinforcement such as arch I think one might just add some additional material. In magazine adds they say they will send a free sample of the material for you to examine. I do not know how big that sample is. I am no artisan and I do not know how easy this material is to cut but I would sure like to try an orthotic made of the materail. It would make its own heelcup and hold the foot steady with no pressure points. It makes the best bed I have ever sleeped on. They probably used this material in making custom seats for the Astronauts. .

Re: Memory foam

Julie on 8/27/04 at 11:03 (158801)

John that's an interesting idea. We've recently acquired memory foam mattresses, and I agree with you: its body-conforming properties make it by far the best bed I've ever slept on too. But I don't think it would be possible to use a sufficient thickness of it in a shoe, and it would probably compact down too much. It might do for a cushion layer on top of an orthotic, though (but would need some kind of coating to stop it crumbling).

But as a mattress it's unbeatable. I've never slept so well.

Re: Memory foam

Kathy G on 8/27/04 at 17:23 (158830)

We purchased a foam mattress back in February and I can't believe the difference it's made! It was expensive but worth every cent of it. I no longer wake up with my right arm numb which I had been doing since I was in college, which longtime posters know, was a long time ago!

I know they make tempurpedic (sp?) slippers and sell them at Brookstone but I don't know how it would work with orthotics. Foam is extraordinary when it comes to mattresses.