Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BURNING!

Posted by Marty from SLC on 8/26/04 at 15:03 (158740)

Does anyone know of some medications to help with burning????? I'm on 2400 mg of neurontin and the burning is real bad. Can't wear shoes or socks at work and I think I'm to a point where I need some stronger meds. If I stand even 5 minutes I'm hurting real bad. The neurologist gave me some tramadol but it doesn't even put a dent in it.

This really sucks!

Marty

Re: BURNING!

Pauline on 8/26/04 at 15:50 (158744)

Marty,
Unfortunately your post doesn't state what condition you've been diagnosed with, but if you are not receiving pain relief from your current doctor, you might want to get a referral to a pain clinic.

I am not a doctor, but others here have posted pain relief through treatment at pain clinics.

Dr. Z on 8/26/04 at 16:33 (158748)

Marty
Why do you have the burning pain. May want to either go to pain clinic and or neurologist. Sometimes 3200 mgs is needed.

Re: OOPS sorry, some know my condition here

Marty from SLC on 8/26/04 at 16:46 (158752)

I have had TTS and PF surgery already and I'm currently seeing a pod and neuro. Just thought some here might have some good leads for me.

Thanks,

Marty

John from MN on 8/26/04 at 21:17 (158766)

The burning pain is the actual taring of your fascia. Medication will stop the pain but not fix the problem. Focus your attention on fixing the problem. Like I have said before, break up the tissue with TFM, then realign it with Graston.

rickb on 8/26/04 at 21:20 (158767)

Marty, please read the message I sent Linda V. I have had this exact same symptom. In my case it was caused by restricted blood flow. This turned out to be a psychosomatic. There is a lot of discussion on the web and this forum on Dr. Sarno's books. Check it out.

Do you have the same problem I had? Try soaking your feet using two buckets, alternating between hot and cold water, maybe 30 seconds at a time. Do this 4-5 times each(this is an approximation, not that important). This is a well known technique to temporarily increase blood circulation. The burning may go a way for a short period while the blood vessels are dialated. Good luck

DavidW on 8/27/04 at 06:46 (158778)

Marty, are you currently doing anything else to help with the foot pain, like icing/ taping/stretching?

Re: hmmm, wrong message board

Marty from SLC on 8/27/04 at 10:01 (158794)

Sorry folks but I can see that this board is really not the place to ask for medication input. I thought most here would know my situation and back ground but it's been 1.5 years since I actively posted. I will ask on the neuropathy.org board thanks. Marty

Re: for rickb..pain related to circulation

Linda V. on 8/27/04 at 10:57 (158800)

rick,
thanks for referring me to dr. sarnos book. i am a nurse, and a lot of his stuff makes scientific sense..especially about the pain being caused by lack of oxygen when constricted blood vessels don't circulate enough. it sort of correalates with heart pain like angina when lack of oxygen causes pain to muscle tissue.
i also buy into the theory about anticipatory fear causing it to get worse. my chemo patients often had anticaptory nausea...the mind is a funny thing. we were NOT allowed to use perfume on the job. patients who were nauseous with chemo could associate that with our perfume...and even YEARS later could vomit if they got a whiff of the same perfume when someone walked by.
as for the inner rage...i probably got some of that too. working my way through the book....as a friend said to me..Linda, when you are upset and can't make a fist----your feet make one for you. sorry this is so long..
but thanks again. good reading..